Greets from Minnesota

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, I have been lurking around the forums on and off for a few weeks now and thought I should add a post in this section.

I live in Grand Rapids, Minnesota - small town, population around 11,000 (the whole county is only about 46,000) and I have a small business - computer repair, cell phone repair, and just about anything micro soldering. I keep quite busy.

I have had security cams set up at my shop since sometime in 2014, using Blue Iris on a Lenovo Thinkserver which is used only as an NVR. If you're ever looking for a solid affordable system to build on, don't shy away from the TS140 Thinkserver! My first build has been running steady for a few years without a single problem with BI or the Server (win 7).

One day a customer asked if I could install security cams for them and so it all began... the process of upgrading from low cost/quality Foscams to Hikvision and even becoming an authorized reseller.

I have 7 cams in my shop now (just added another today) and all are Hikvision with the exception of one Foscam which will soon be replaced with a Hikvision PanoVu 180. So, my private security system became a public demo as well. The police like my cameras and occasionally stop in asking for footage (2 of them have a view of the roads). "Best quality cam footage they have seen" they have told me over and over. I record everything in 1920x1080 res. Two cams are continuous and 5 cams are motion.

I recently moved my whole system into a rack and ran a 25' HDMI cord to a 32" monitor for customers to see. Here are a couple pics of this whole set up:

IMG_0006.jpg IMG_0004.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@cainrand fyi you can change the event colors for the cameras so they appear independently on the timeline...camera properties>general

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm in MN (St. Cloud area), so you're a Hikvison dealer?
Yes, though it sounds more interesting than it is. I am a small shop so I don't have an inventory - I just order what is needed/wanted when the time comes.
The real benefit is that I order from an authorized distributor, which means Hikvision will then also offer support and warranty on what I re-sell.

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@cainrand fyi you can change the event colors for the cameras so they appear independently on the timeline...camera properties>general
Just took a look at that... Yes! that makes the layout "pop" a bit more and seem a bit less dull.

I've been using BI for several years now but never really did anything with it except connect the cameras and record and then only ever looked at recordings if I needed them. The software itself has worked flawlessly for me. Now as I am getting more involved in this I am realizing what a sophisticated program BI really is and the many cosmetics that make it even more appealing are a great bonus.

I did get the Profile thing working perfectly and it makes more sense now. I also adjusted Alerts so they only happen when I need them to happen - that really helps with that little red alert circle that tends to trigger OCD behavior.

One thing I am trying to figure out right now is the Yellow ! circle. I get them occasionally on cams and they don't go away but everything works perfectly. Bottom bar tells me it is a warning and I can double click to open the Status/Messages window, but there are no warnings there.