Guide to selecting the right IP Cam

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for those IR pics colmcille! Do you have any captures from the 2.8mm and 12mm versions? I just compared my 8904 6mm and Panda 2.8mm. I think that makes it clear I need a 4mm.

I just looked at Amazon:Hikvision and CCTV China. Hik seems to be matching shipped price. Based on the other prices I have seen, I feel like I am missing something. Are these the same product/accessories? CCTV specifically says no psu and Hik lists the specs. Does the Amazon one come with a psu? I will be ordering a TP-LINK TL-SF1008P anyway.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I just looked at Amazon:Hikvision and CCTV China. Hik seems to be matching shipped price. Based on the other prices I have seen, I feel like I am missing something. Are these the same product/accessories? CCTV specifically says no psu and Hik lists the specs. Does the Amazon one come with a psu? I will be ordering a TP-LINK TL-SF1008P anyway.
As far as I know, nobody ships a power supply with Hikvision cameras. The Amazon seller is not Hikvision, just some other 3rd party, so don't feel like you will get better support or anything if you buy from there. The only thing you will gain is shipping speed IF you buy from a seller based in the USA and/or get amazon fulfillment.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I finally figured out that this morning. The product is by Hikvision, but they are not the shipper. I guess my best bet is still CCTV China to get an English camera. I don't want to mess with the Chinese firmware or translation if I don't have to.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I finally figured out that this morning. The product is by Hikvision, but they are not the shipper. I guess my best bet is still CCTV China to get an English camera. I don't want to mess with the Chinese firmware or translation if I don't have to.
Dont confuse English firmware with a USA camera...if you try and update the firmware it with either brick or revert to chinese.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dont confuse English firmware with a USA camera...if you try and update the firmware it with either brick or revert to chinese.
Lovely. We will see what CCTV China sends me. I ordered an hour ago and put a Note to Seller to request "English firmware please".

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, now I see the difference between specifying USA Camera and Multi-language. Had I figured that out an hour ago, I would have probably just used a seller on Amazon.