Guy breaking into my car last night...

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Depending on how much stuff was taken I am the kind of guy who would post this vid on a web page along with all the info I have, put together a smallish reward, and spam the local mailboxes with the web address. The guy is recognizable--to somebody who knows him. Just have to get the pic in front of the right person.

i might not bother for car break ins but I would with a burglary.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
To the OP... For about $100 you can have Best Buy install an aftermarket alarm that is neutered, except for the auto-lock capability. All of my vehicles have keyless entry, and 'factory alarm' - but none of them will automatically lock the door when you close the door an walk away. Getting a simple, cheap alarm that ties into the existing factory system will give you exactly that. It doesn't need a key fob or siren, and it uses the (un)lock pulse from the door locks, and power to the dome light to know when to arm/disarm. It gets installed, and you'll never know its there.

With mine, 30 seconds after the dome light goes out (without the accessory or ignition power being on) the alarm sends a pulse to lock the doors. Simple. There is a small 'valet' button that you press to put it into override (for when you have service done, or a neighbor borrows the vehicle). I tie-wrapped an extra key in a hidden spot on the outside of the vehicle, so if I ever get burned by accidentally leaving the keys in the car, I have a way in.

Also, anytime I see anyone attempt entry into my vehicles like that, the first thing I do is call the police to inquire if anyone else in the neighborhood has reported a vehicle burglary. If so, I offer them a copy of the video (usually a YT link). It helped nab a convicted felon (on probation no less) that tried to get into my locked truck, and then went on to the neighbor's unlocked Jeep. Stole an iFruit charger, sunglasses and a couple other trivial items. The punk left a used cigarette in the cup holder - which was the only reason the neighbor even knew it happened. He then came to me to ask me to check my videos. Sure enough, we captured him on video. The police were called, and to my surprise, the tested the ciggy for DNA. 8-months later they arrested him as he was stocking shelves at the local walmart.

gunnerdog

n3wb
Reaction score
To the OP... For about $100 you can have Best Buy install an aftermarket alarm that is neutered,

Also, anytime I see anyone attempt entry into my vehicles like that, the first thing I do is call the police to inquire if anyone else in the neighborhood has reported a vehicle burglary. If so, I offer them a copy of the video (usually a YT link).
It is cheaper to sternly lecture my wife than install an alarm.

This guy hit every car on the street that was unlocked.

The police visited each house to get info on what was stolen and collected video (via YT links) from 3 houses that had cameras, including mine.

I heard yesterday that my neighbor that had his wallet and phone stolen (his credit cards were used in a store up the street to buy beer and redbox movies shortly after my video ends) called to get a status update from the police. It seems that they never filed a report... i don't know if they are just incompetent or if they are covering something up, but that doesn't make sense to me.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It is cheaper to sternly lecture my wife...
You must have a fundamentally different marriage than I do. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing is MORE EXPENSIVE than lecturing my wife...

Spotmom

n3wb
Reaction score
I posted my break in capture to the local Facebook "remember when" group. His parole officer recognized him within 2 hours at which time I deleted the post.
We have several local crime groups on Facebook. Stop Valley Thieves (in Alaska) is the best one, and whenever anyone catches a thief or even a suspicious person prowling around on their cameras they post the images to the group. It seems like they perps get tagged within a day and they are 99% repeat offenders with a long record. Works really well for stolen vehicles. Over 10,000 people are an awesome crime fighting force and the addition of security cameras make it even more effective. It has made a real difference in the catching of thieves!

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's a good idea to have an anti crime unit but be careful on Facebook or.something with putting your name out there for the dirt bags

Spotmom

n3wb
Reaction score
You use a fictitious name/account for the crime posts. At least I do. I see other people not quite so careful.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No offense but there is a reason why they install locks on the doors at the manufacture just saying. Seems like every video posted of someones car being robbed has left their doors unlocked.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Even those who try and lock them every time forget occasionally. People forget, shit happens, vids get posted, and victims get blamed for being idiots because they forgot, the kids got out late and last, or whatever.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry but living in Chicago and owning a car since I was 15 and I never forgot to hit the lock button on my car even now that its parked in the garage. BTW no ones blaming the victim it was a simple statement of why don't they lock the dam things.

I bet the majority don't forget to lock their homes at night. You don't forget unless you take it for granted.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's the problem with clickers. You almost never know if you forget. You THINK you're perfect but you aren't. You just never know when you forget because you always click the clicker to open your doors before you get there. The evidence is erased of when you forget because you never test yourself by trying your doors EVERY time you get in your car. Nobody born with a clicker in their hands does that. The only time you'll learn is when you forget on the night someone tries your door. Just don't bother posting your break-in video here for help after claiming perfection.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nope not perfect by all accounts but there is this cleaver little noise that occurs when you hit that clicker if it doesn't make a noise guess what time it is.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Stuff happens, no one is perfect. Be ideal if we could leave something in our car and not worry about some shit head stealing it

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in (as I do in most of these 'car burglarized while doors were unlocked' threads) about auto door locking add-ons. I have HORRIBLE memory, and can never remember to lock the doors (or recall whether I did, which induces a panic at 2am). DEI makes a very simple alarm module (<$50 IIRC) that ties into any existing power door lock scenario - whether you have a factory alarm (which most don't auto lock) or not. You tie it into the key/accessory, dome light, door locks, and constant 12V. You continue to use your existing key FOB. All it does is monitor for the dome light to go out without a key in the ignition. It counts 30 seconds, and sends a lock pulse. Done. You don't mount the siren, or any of the other gizmos that come with it. There's no indication it's there, but 30 seconds after the last door is closed, the locks do their thing. I've put that in every car I've owned, and have yet to regret it.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They have car alarms that come with pagers. SO if you forgot to lock your door it's not a big deal because alarm auto sets when the door is closed anytime, locked or not locked. Car alarm settings give the option to set alarm upon the closure of a door, not just when a door is locked or by having to click your key ring car alarm button. Having a pager car alarm is very handy and the car can be set to stay silent so you can sneak up with your Louisville slugger or the next attention getter, a gun and all before they know they even set it off. Pagers also work great when you have sound or impact sensors installed. For example; when someone opens their car door in a parking lot and puts a nice ding in your car.
These factory car alarms IMO are ridiculous, because turning them on makes the car flash lights or or make a horn sound or both.
Radio Shack use to carry the sensors and were the size of a quarter with a wire connection and you glue the sensor to the inside of the doors or windows.
Anyway, if you can set your car alarm to set automatically when the keys are not in ignition and the doors are closed, I would make that change in the systems setup.Then it doesn't matter if you forgot to lock the door.
Most of the prowlers are meth addicts IMO. Living with in walking distance in almost all the cases.