H.265

Johtec

n3wb
Reaction score
My new 5216-16P-4KS2 Dahua NVR does not show option to use H.265 as advertised. Camera is a Sibell SB81R. Both are stated to be H.265 compatible.
Any suggestions.
Thanks

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The compression type is set in the camera. With Dahua cameras, the NVR lets you configure the camera using the NVR's GUI. I wouldn't know if this works via onvif, but I'd almost be surprised if it does. If the Sibell camera is built by Dahua you might have a chance of configuring it in the nvr via the "private" manufacturer protocol. I've heard that one manufacturer's h.265 isn't necessarily the same as another's, so that issue could maybe crop up.

Johtec

n3wb
Reaction score
The compression type is set in the camera. With Dahua cameras, the NVR lets you configure the camera using the NVR's GUI. I wouldn't know if this works via onvif, but I'd almost be surprised if it does. If the Sibell camera is built by Dahua you might have a chance of configuring it in the nvr via the "private" manufacturer protocol. I've heard that one manufacturer's h.265 isn't necessarily the same as another's, so that issue could maybe crop up.
Thanks for you feedback. I'll try your suggestion & let u know.

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Correct. H.265 is not exactly a universal compression technique. How each manufacturer implements it can be quite different. And yes, that is set at the camera. The NVR will receive what the camera sends it. When you DO see H.265 on the NVR, you are not configuring H.265 for the NVR itself, you are configuring it for the camera on that selected channel and the changes are actually set on the camera through the NVR is all.

Johtec

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried setting camera to "Private", as suggested by tigerwillow1, and as expected that did not work.
So looks like mfg restricts H.265 to their own devices.
Guess I'm stuck with large file size till Onvif adopts H.265.
Thanks for all your help and explanations for how to do.

Johtec

n3wb
Reaction score
NVR-Dahua 5216-16P-4ks2, firmware V3.215.0000000.3 ; Camera-Sibell IPOB-SB81R.

Still trying to connect camera for nvr to give H.265 option (I set camera to H.265 on web view).
NVR advertised as H.265 compatible but only H.264 shows up under nvr settings for camera.
Can only connect with ONVIF and as I understand ONVIF 2.4 does not support H.265 (new 2.6.1 supposedly does).
Can anyone help me with how to set up "Private" connection to see if that will work?
Camera port is 80 and nvr port is 37777. Changing ports under " Private" setting has not helped.
Can only connect with ONVIF.

Johtec

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your response.
I saw the 216 upgrade & thought about trying it.
This Sibell camera appears to be a Dahua by comparing pictures online but never sure.
Did you upgrade to 216 or was that original?
If upgraded, did you have option before (with 215 like I have)?

Johtec

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you set up as private with cameras. Being Dahua cameras they may setup automatically.
If you setup private, what settings did you use?

Johtec

n3wb
Reaction score
Is anyone using H265 with 3rd party cameras on Dahua NVR5216--6P-4KS2 running firmware V3.215.0000000.3?