Hamrolte Hi3518E

Reaction score
Just an update, both cameras still going strong since the problematic one had its disconnect.
One thing I changed was to enable "H.264+" which is supposed to be a compressed version that decreased the bandwidth used by rtsp of the faulty camera as well as change both cameras ntp refresh rate (against my server pc) to 600 minutes instead of 60.

Fingers crossed.
h.264+ has been reported as an issue with Blue Iris since camera manufacturers started using it.
Seems to be some kind of incompatibility with Intel QuickSync that causes the issue.

Fettkeewl

n3wb
Reaction score
h.264+ has been reported as an issue with Blue Iris since camera manufacturers started using it.
Seems to be some kind of incompatibility with Intel QuickSync that causes the issue.
Luckily it works well with my software, ivideon :D getting a smooth image as before

Reaction score
I must ask, Blue Iris, is it a one time payment for a life long license or just for a year?
It's a major version license. Minor version updates are free. When Ken (Blue Iris developer) determines it's time for a major version release, you'll have to buy a new license. At least that's the way it was a few years ago. Check the Blue Iris forums here for more recent discussions. At $49 USD, it's extremely reasonably-priced for the wealth of features it provides.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's a major version license. Minor version updates are free. When Ken (Blue Iris developer) determines it's time for a major version release, you'll have to buy a new license. At least that's the way it was a few years ago. Check the Blue Iris forums here for more recent discussions. At $49 USD, it's extremely reasonably-priced for the wealth of features it provides.
Nothing dictates that you MUST do a major upgrade, that's completely voluntary. Whatever version you have at the time will continue to work.

Fettkeewl

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh crap.. @VorlonFrog backup cam died around midnight, strange thing is I was able to bring it back online, not with a power cycle but by pulling the ethernet cable waiting and then reconnecting it. Both wired and wireless reconnected. How strange.. Very much sounds like a software issue, perhaps stuck in a code loop that it can't break out of, until lan connection broke, unless pulling the cable made the camera fire a reboot.

That was the double connection test and its completed.. Now trying wired only! If I get the same bug I shall have to resort to my previously mentioned solution. Having the cameras power behind a wifi controlled switch and check for connection through pinging..

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the answer to one cam requiring re-boot and other wireless cams do not, even the same brand: it's wireless.

My experience with a couple of Amcrest (rebranded Dahua) wireless cams is that periodic disconnects, self-reconnects and necessitated re-boots occur with no rhyme or reason...at least none I can decipher. One is rock-steady and the other one is a frequent trouble maker.

They have been relegated to non-critical duty until my health (and the temperature) allows me to pull in some CAT-5e.

Wish I could offer you a more technical and concise suggestion. The closest I can get with any certainty is: do what you can to avoid wirelesss OR get used to the instability and unreliability. :oops:

Fettkeewl

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's the answer to one cam requiring re-boot and other wireless cams do not, even the same brand: it's wireless.

My experience with a couple of Amcrest (rebranded Dahua) wireless cams is that periodic disconnects, self-reconnects and necessitated re-boots occur with no rhyme or reason...at least none I can decipher. One is rock-steady and the other one is a frequent trouble maker.

They have been relegated to non-critical duty until my health (and the temperature) allows me to pull in some CAT-5e.

Wish I could offer you a more technical and concise suggestion. The closest I can get with any certainty is: do what you can to avoid wirelesss OR get used to the instability and unreliability. :oops:
Thank you for your reply! As mentioned it was a double connection test, could be that the wireless connection ruined both connections. I'm trying one in wired mode only now with wifi antenna disabled. If wired fails aswell then it's just bad firmware altogether and not HW related id guess.. Then all that is left is my backup solution hehe.

What I would have wanted was to get some sort of error message out of it all but that is beyond my knowledge as the logs do not show anything... That would have given me something to work with perhaps..