Happy with new cameras, looking forward to adding more...

Santeesticks

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The DVR on my old HD-SDI system failed a couple of months ago causing me to delve into researching a new system. I consulted Dr. Google and Nurse YouTube for weeks and I read hundreds of threads on this forum, finally subscribing about a month ago so I could view photos and attachments. Due to cognitive issues stemming from a TBI, I initially tried to keep it simple with a plug and play system, a Reolink RLK16-800D8 along with a few additional Reolink cameras to test and compare to the included cameras. The Reolink system was very easy to setup and worked great during the day, even for license plate capture with a pair of their RLC-811A’s. Of course throughout the night, all of the cameras were useless for anything other than simple observing; they were all nearly worthless for capturing anything useful for identification or heavily scrutinized evidentiary purposes due to ghosting/blurring with any type of motion. So, I’m sure much to the joy of many here, I returned the Reolink system and cameras; albeit I understand Reolink could be the route some may want to go due to their ease of setup but understand that absent substantial, stadium-like lighting, they are unlikely to meet expectations during the night.

Despite my challenges and lack of computer/programming/networking knowledge, thanks largely to this forum, I have successfully installed Blue Iris on a repurposed gaming computer, installed a WD Purple drive, a cheap switch (STEAMEMO 8-port) and a few cameras from Andy’s Amazon store (T5442TM-AS, T5442T-ZE, Color4k-T, B5442E-Z4E, and a 5241E-Z12E.) After spending well over a hundred hours of reading, re-reading, and re-reading yet again all sections of the WIKI and what seems like thousands of threads here over and over again, I feel I have most things functioning fairly well, including license plate capturing using the two bullet cameras coupled with the Sunrise/Sunset utility. I also setup an OpenALPR account and integrated it into the system. Additionally, I set up the BlueIris App and connected it to my system after setting up OpenVPN on my router.

As it’s been repeatedly said, cameras multiply like rabbits and I have several more to buy and install, but I feel I’m on the right path with a quality prosumer security camera system. I’m still struggling with a few things in the system but thought it time to finally put up a post introducing myself, share a shortened and simplified portion of my journey, and express my thanks for the information I have obtained here. Thank you...

Santeesticks

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great Job Dude!
Thank you. Reading between the lines of many posts, I can tell many here have the prerequisite training or experience to make setting up security cameras second nature; not me. It has definitely been challenging, but when I find success with a change or addition to the system, it is truly rewarding. I am particularly happy that I was able to get the license plate cameras working properly; granted I am still struggling with integrating the OpenALPR Offline Database Tool, but given enough time poking at it, I'm sure I'll get it running eventually...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to see you realized the Reolink limitations and could return!

Most of us haven't had pre-requisite training or experience except for the failed purchase of some big box store all-in-one kit LOL. I thought my first system was awesome until a total stranger came by and it was useless except for what time they came by.

Please ask questions about the OpenALPR database tool - it is such an incredible tool.

Santeesticks

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Most of us haven't had pre-requisite training or experience except for the failed purchase of some big box store all-in-one kit LOL. I thought my first system was awesome until a total stranger came by and it was useless except for what time they came by.

Please ask questions about the OpenALPR database tool - it is such an incredible tool.

Yes sir, as am I; and now I feel as though I have the best possible chance of obtaining useful information in the unfortunate event something should happen. Especially with a combination of overview, identifying, and license plate cameras. The information you have repeatedly given to many regarding guidelines for day/night profile settings along with your license plate camera advice come to mind as being particularly helpful. Thank you! I’m going to fiddle around with the OpenALPR Offline Database integration a bit more, but if I absolutely can’t figure it out, I’ll be certain to ask. Again, thank you @wittaj!

Santeesticks

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
:welcome:

Great post, like you, have figured out issues by reading, researching, and posting issues when needed.
Thank you @Rob2020. I’ve found most of the hiccups I’ve come across are not unique and I can find most of the answers to my questions by re-reading manuals, doing a thorough online search, or by re-reading various threads on this forum; but as everyone’s setup is different, sometimes I’ll come across an issue specific to me which can be a bit more difficult to resolve. I’m still working on a few hang-ups and once I feel I have done my due diligence trying to fix them myself without success, I will not hesitate to ask for help.