Hard drive size and brand questions

nebo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good call @nayr! Even for my little project, if I go with 2, and I'm not in a hurry, I'll order 1 now and 1 later. Shipping is free.
@nayr isn't the warranty the same for NV and non-NV?

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it appears so, i was under the mistaken impression the NV had a enterprise warranty (5yr), that dont appear to be the case.

NV is for more than 8 disks in the same enclosure, likely has much better vibration handling... they make some insanely sensitive 6 axis gyros, they just cost about $40 more than the normal affordable ones.. huh go figure.

but anyhow, yeah if you buy a bunch of drives that were made at the same time and all experienced the exact same environment then you are stacking the odds in favor of having multiple simultaneous failures occur at once.. which can really ruin your day. There is a break point where you have so many drives the likely hood is pretty much inevitable.. I cant think of any time I ever had to replace only a single disk in a rack full of them, usually a bunch need replaced.. but they were designed to handle a bunch of failing drives.

Last year I had a bunch of servers all crap out disks one by one predictibly right down the rack.. bout 36 server all purchased and installed the same day from same vendor.. within 5 months each had to have a rebuilt raid... even the 4 server I had moved offsite into another datacenter had issues at the same time.. They went about a year and a half without issue, then wam.. cascade failure of the exact same part, talk about a bad batch.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good call @nayr! Even for my little project, if I go with 2, and I'm not in a hurry, I'll order 1 now and 1 later. Shipping is free.
@nayr isn't the warranty the same for NV and non-NV?
Purple and Purple NV both have 3 years. Warranty period is the same. I actually was just about to mention the Newegg issue because I've had poorly packed drives from them several years ago, all of which have failed by now and were RMA'd. (I RMA'd to the Manufacturer so I knew the replacement drive would be properly packaged). Apparently they've changed their ways, but I've bailed on Newegg altogether once they switched to a marketplace store like Amazon and eBay. I believe the case size is 20 when bulk ordering, but I'm sure they make custom ones as well for any bulk amount. I ordered a refurb Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF on eBay about 4 months ago, and the vendor shipped it to me in a reused hard drive carton. The foam inserts allocated space for 20 drives. (perhaps they make them in different sizes, not sure) Even if it's not in the original packaging, the 2 key things are the ESD bag (if you're ordering new drives and not refurb/used, this is a non-issue), and the foam/plastic spacers/shims that ensure that the drives do not bounce around from within the container. Now, if the package is mishandled by the courier, that's an entirely different issue. But the spacers that hold the drives securely in place are critical. Simply wrapping the drive in bubble wrap and placing it inside a box is not good enough. The warranty is only a crutch. It's not a replacement for proper hard disk handling.

nebo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Even if it's not in the original packaging, the 2 key things are the ESD bag (if you're ordering new drives and not refurb/used, this is a non-issue), and the foam/plastic spacers/shims that ensure that the drives do not bounce around from within the container.
sheesh....I'm gonna have 2 notebooks full of notes before I order my first piece of hardware!!! lol..I assumed they would have ESD bags since I get boards in those for some of my equipment, but didn't realize about the spacers/shims. Thank goodness for all you experienced folks on this forum!

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While I'm not a fan of Seagate in any capacity (no pun intended, ha ha) due to their manufacturing quality or lack thereof, they call their plastic spacers/drive casings SeaShells. I love that for some reason =)

Same with their other products, SeaTools drive diags, SeaShare remote file access, SeaShield ESD protected hard drives (built into the drive, no bag necessary)

Love the naming convention.

On the note of the drive spacers, I had to RMA a couple green drives in the last few years (all logic board failures, mechanically they were fine). It was 3 at once (they died at different times but life got in the way so they accumulated for about a year or so before I sent them out). The drives were dead so I wasn't greatly concerned about RMA packing. (However don't go overboard with this as they can deny any warranty claim if the drives appear neglected or improperly packed). Not everyone has ESD bags and spacers laying around so they're somewhat lenient on that. I used ESD bags leftover from other drives, and each drive was wrapped in about 2 inches of bubble wrap because I didn't have the spacers, all shipped in 1 box. When WD sent new ones back to me, each was sent in an individual box, sealed in ESD and with the drive spacers. As @nayr said, unless you're ordering case quantities, you're not guaranteed to get proper packaging. Since it was a WD product being shipped by WD, they understand drive sensitivity (they've been in the business for a very long time) and take care to ensure proper packaging. That's why I never RMA to the reseller when it comes to drives. I would also like to add that WD support has been great as far as arranging the RMAs. Phone support doesn't speak clear fluent English (at least each time I called they didn't) but their email support was pretty good and they usually got back to me same day or next business day. I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk