Hard Drive - WD Purple or?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Expect to get my 7616 and 8 hikvision 4mp cameras shortly. Just thinking about hard drives for the 7616.

Suggestions for type and size? Thinking of getting two.

Is WD Purple pretty much the consensus?

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would go with the purple drive as it's specifically made for surveillance applications. Size depends on your storage requirements and the type of recording you will be doing. I.E continuous, event, scheduled etc. You can use a storage calculator to estimate how many days of retrieval you will have based on how you plan to record. I get about 7 days worth with 8 cameras recording continuous on a 3TB HD, just to give you an idea.

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running nas hard drives WD red as purples are hard to find around here. I believe they have similar usage characteristics

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Technically you could use any drive and it'll still work, even an SSD would.

From what I have seen on numerous builds people just run drives specifically for the purpose, so either WD purple, or Seagate surveillance. They do cost a bit more than some other drives so it's up to you to decide. If you have drives laying around doing nothing you could use them if you want to save a bit of money.

Download the 'Tools' from Hikvision website, they have a storage calculator that will tell you the drive size needed for a time goal or how much footage you can store in a given drive size.

http://www.hikvision.com/europe/download_more.asp?id=1335

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running nas hard drives WD red as purples are hard to find around here. I believe they have similar usage characteristics

i also run reds as i couldn't get purple locally and needed drives fast. so far so good!

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 2TB on (4) 4MP dahua cameras at 2300 bitrate and I get 23 days of 24/7 recording.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Seagate Surveillance seem identical in price to the WD Purples. Maybe I will go with a 3TB Purple for now.

If I go with 2 drives on a 7616, can the second drive be configured as a backup for the first, or would it only be used when space was up on the first one?

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe it can be done as both @pbc

Last edited by a moderator:

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Seagate Surveillance seem identical in price to the WD Purples. Maybe I will go with a 3TB Purple for now.

If I go with 2 drives on a 7616, can the second drive be configured as a backup for the first, or would it only be used when space was up on the first one?
I dropped on quite nicely.
An online store has an eBay store as well and had an email from a cash back website on Thursday that between 4-10pm there was 20% off everything on eBay with voucher code!!

Never seen an eBay code before

But I managed to pick up 2 new WD purple 3TB drives for £68 each!!!

£85 was the cheapest I'd seen them anywhere

I dont think you'd even get a desktop drive that price

Needless to say I was well chuffed

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So today I was setting up a new DVR and was able to run some performance data using the Samsung SSD tool. I installed an SSD for the OS, and installed a 3tb WD purple. I then reformatted the original 500gb Toshiba drive and set it up for video storage also.

Running the numbers of course the SSD smoked everything else in a major way, but the purple drive was slower than the basic toshiba OEM drive in all but one important aspect. Write speed. You can tell these are tuned for write speeds in surveillance applications!

850 evo SSD - MB seq read speed 549, write 529, random read iops 96,000, write iops 86,000

Toshiba 500 - MB seq read speed 177, write 212, random read iops 688, write iops 312

3tb WD Purple - MB seq read speed 164, write 128, random read iops 518, write iops 749

The random writes are the important ones for recording video and it is double the performance there, while slower in applications the drive is not designed for. But really I want a monster SSD...... :)

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BTW,if I put a 32gb sd card in each camera how much would that record?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
BTW,if I put a 32gb sd card in each camera how much would that record?
@pbc - all jokes aside :)

In order to get the exact amount you'll want/need to use one of the calculators to determine recording capacity based on your camera/settings. like MP rating, Bit rate, etc...

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Three days or so...motion detect only for me

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@pbc - it will hold 32gb worth...
Guess I deserved that one! Just debating whether it's worth putting SD cards in. I like the thought that if something did happen and the theif took the NVR to eliminate footage that I had some other form of backup.

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If its a Chinese 2032F you are planning to use SD cards in just be aware there seems to be reports of issues with SD card recording.

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If its a Chinese 2032F you are planning to use SD cards in just be aware there seems to be reports of issues with SD card recording.
Most are getting it initially setup, but once setup it's good.

Mine's been good for a month now.