Hardware Acceleration with AMD? 3700x NO GPU integrated

LordFire

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

someone can tell me how can i set hardware acceleration with my AMD 3700x in blue iris? if i select "intel" is the same?
another question, if i buy a good video card, the cpu usage will be the same?

i need to understand if with hardware acceleration can i use less CPU!

i'm studying for understand how consume the least amount power consumption with blue iris.

thanks in advance

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There are 6 hardware acceleration options. 3 options have Intel in the name and require an Intel CPU with the Quick Sync Video feature. The Nvidia option requires a modern Nvidia GPU. The DirectX and Direct3D11 options are supposed to work with any graphics device capable of video hardware acceleration, however in my tests neither of them worked.

Intel - Reduces CPU usage. Reduces power consumption.
Intel+VPP - Different from Intel in unknown ways. It may perform better or worse depending on the particular system configuration.
Nvidia NVDEC - Reduces CPU usage. INCREASES power consumption.
DirectX VA2 - In my testing this is exactly the same as using no hardware acceleration at all.
Direct3D11 VA - In my testing this method fails with an error in the Blue Iris log file.
Intel Beta - Very poor performance in my testing, with no reason to use it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you intend to use Nvidia hardware acceleration at the cost of higher power consumption, then better Nvidia cards are capable of handling more video. Achievable hardware acceleration performance may be limited by video memory capacity or video memory bandwidth. This remains unclear.

For tips on improving the efficiency of Blue Iris, read this: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage