Hardware configuration for 4 camera unit

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Windows 7 machine with 8MB of RAM and a 3.6 Ghz CPU. It still doesn't seem to cut it. We are almost always seeing CPU usage at 100%. Is this not enough hardware? Or do I need to change some settings to ease up on my CPU? I have the cameras recording on motion and recording at 30fps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Windows 7 machine with 8MB of RAM and a 3.6 Ghz CPU. It still doesn't seem to cut it. We are almost always seeing CPU usage at 100%. Is this not enough hardware? Or do I need to change some settings to ease up on my CPU? I have the cameras recording on motion and recording at 30fps.
How many cameras and what kind?
You should be recording using the direct to disk option for each camera - this will help tremendously. That processors is relatively weak...its benchmarks at about an i3 intel haswell desktop processor.

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
3 cameras, all hikvision. Looking to add a 4th camera soon.

I'm unsure if they are recording direct to disk, I'll have to check.

I thought 3.6Ghz was pretty fast when I bought it. What would be a better processor? How can I tell the speed? I always thought the higher the Ghz the better.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
3 cameras, all hikvision. Looking to add a 4th camera soon.

I'm unsure if they are recording direct to disk, I'll have to check.

I thought 3.6Ghz was pretty fast when I bought it. What would be a better processor? How can I tell the speed? I always thought the higher the Ghz the better.
That should be sufficient to run 4x 2mp (i assume you are running 1080p because that is the only way to get 30fps) cameras...The clock speed has little to do with the performance. You need to lookup the benchmarks. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-5600K+APU
This processor with a lower clock speed is more than double as powerful http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4770+@+3.40GHz&id=1907
AMD is generally not the best choice for 24/7 systems as they are not as efficient as modern intel haswell (4th gen) processors.
Change the recording to direct to disk and low the frame rate (in the camera to 15)..30 fps is WAY overkill..

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'll try those changes and see how if it helps!