Hardware for a 30+ IP Camera setup

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have a question. Would this computer handle 30 ip cameras for a business setup?
Dell XPS 8930 i7-8700 I7-8700 16GB Ram?

Dell XPS 8930 Tower Desktop, 8th Gen Intel 6-Core i7-8700 Upto 4.6GHz, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD Plus 1TB HDD, DVD-RW, Wifi, Bluetooth, Dual Monitor Capable, Windows 10 Professional - Newegg.com

Also, does Blue Iris have a feature to search a specific area of a camera for motion? I think its called Smart Search on some DVR's.

Basically if I want to review video of motion of a jewelry display can I highlight a certain area and the software will find only video that has motion in that specific area or would I have to watch the whole days video?

I hope that makes sense?

Also, any recommendations on a POE+ switch that can handle 48 cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It would depend on the camera resolution and frame-rate.... Blue Iris does not have that smart search option.... For your application you should look at and Enterprise VMS like Digital Watchdog....

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
My comment is don't use Reolink. Stick to Hikivision or Dahua. Have a look around those threads on this forum.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman, from my understanding I should set the cameras to 15FPS?

These are the cameras I will be using..

https://www.amazon.com/Reolink-Security-2560x1440-Detection-RLC-410S/dp/B016UCNPEE

https://www.amazon.com/Reolink-RLC-420-2560x1440P-Outdoor-Detection/dp/B0147XLVIU

Digital Watchdog has Smart search? Do i need the server edition?
for the love of god, avoid reolink cameras like the plague...particularly with blue iris....there are much better options...you need to start doing proper research...
yes DW supports this DW Spectrum<sup>®</sup> IPVMS
their cost is 70 dollars per camera but it includes lifetime upgrades to new versions..

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fediddy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
wow... on the reolink... didn't know that.. Luckly I got them thru Amazon prime so I can return them easily. Why are they bad cam and particularly with blue iris?

DW Spectrum costs 70 per camera? So if I need 30 cameras the software would cost me $2100.00? Is there any other software that has smart search that is more reasonable? We had a huge theft at my work and I am currently review video to provide to the police from February 2017 which is taking me for ever to do. The smart search feature would cut my time down on feature issues down drastically.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
wow... on the reolink... didn't know that.. Luckly I got them thru Amazon prime so I can return them easily. Why are they bad cam and particularly with blue iris?

DW Spectrum costs 70 per camera? So if I need 30 cameras the software would cost me $2100.00? Is there any other software that has smart search that is more reasonable? We had a huge theft at my work and I am currently review video to provide to the police from February 2017 which is taking me for ever to do. The smart search feature would cut my time down on feature issues down drastically.
search this forum..youll see..
yes, it would be about 2100...2100 is NOTHING in the vms arena and if you have a jewelry store with theft you should not be cutting corners. Also buy cameras with an sd card slot for additional backup recording..
remember the 2100 is for lifetime free upgrades...it is well worth it. They also have discounts if you buy their camera hardware...