Hardware reconsidered...

ibrouting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, so on my first post I was "schooled" a bit on the cost of power when running a server I probably didn't need to run. It was WAY overkill and would have cost me way more than necessary on power over a 12 month period. Lo and Behold yesterday I came into the ownership of an Intel NUC (Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH) that is a 6th Gen I-5 with 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. I am attaching two USB 3.0 drives to offload after recording direct to disc. Then I found a great little TP Link switch with 4 PoE (I will only have 3 cameras) to use: TP-LINK - 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch with 4 Port PoE - Black/Gray
and as soon as I can get a UPS for it I think I am ready to start installing.

So to those great oracles on here who helped me before, first, Thank You. And, can you take a look and tell me what you think? My first camera arrives tomorrow (Starlight Dahua) and I will be running BI on the NUC.

Thanks as always to a great forum with a massive depth in the subject matter that is always happy to share!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so on my first post I was "schooled" a bit on the cost of power when running a server I probably didn't need to run. It was WAY overkill and would have cost me way more than necessary on power over a 12 month period. Lo and Behold yesterday I came into the ownership of an Intel NUC (Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH) that is a 6th Gen I-5 with 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. I am attaching two USB 3.0 drives to offload after recording direct to disc. Then I found a great little TP Link switch with 4 PoE (I will only have 3 cameras) to use: TP-LINK - 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch with 4 Port PoE - Black/Gray
and as soon as I can get a UPS for it I think I am ready to start installing.

So to those great oracles on here who helped me before, first, Thank You. And, can you take a look and tell me what you think? My first camera arrives tomorrow (Starlight Dahua) and I will be running BI on the NUC.

Thanks as always to a great forum with a massive depth in the subject matter that is always happy to share!
you are swinging too far in the other direction...nucs are under powered and overpriced not to mention no room for proper local storage.

ibrouting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.