Hardware spec for a BI machine.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you all recommend which operating system to run blue iris on?
Im remaking a blue iris system on my hypervisor server (running esxi).
Wondering if I should go windows 10 or 11
I have BI running on Win8.1 at a remote location and Win10Pro on my home location. For a headless system that just runs BI, I do not see what Win11 could possibly bring. I can't tell a difference between the 8.1 and 10 in terms of performance or operating.

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have BI running on Win8.1 at a remote location and Win10Pro on my home location. For a headless system that just runs BI, I do not see what Win11 could possibly bring. I can't tell a difference between the 8.1 and 10 in terms of performance or operating.
I think im going to go windows 10. Iv been running windows 11 and I do see a boost in performance for everyday tasks. I just dont trust it yet for running blue iris

Thank you for your reply

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a copy of Win 8.1 pro from dell, and a retail copy.....sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't be better off runnnig that even past the point of support just so it didn't update all the time....but I'm not the Geek i thought i was .....i just get mad when i think of how Windows has moved to 11 with this internet connection required crap.

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Setting up win 10 as we speak and ran the following tools to remove all the crapware

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a copy of Win 8.1 pro from dell, and a retail copy.....sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't be better off runnnig that even past the point of support just so it didn't update all the time....but I'm not the Geek i thought i was .....i just get mad when i think of how Windows has moved to 11 with this internet connection required crap.
The remote location uses satellite internet, and Starlink isn't available at the location due to obstructions. So i have had updates turned off for almost a decade. Been running fine. I upgraded the cameras from USB cams to Hikvision to AndyCams, and get BI updated. No issues there. It doesn't get pissy about updates. My daily driver is a Linux Mint and for me it works great. I am NOT a nerd that spends a lot of time playing/adjusting/tweaking it. If I need to do something, I just Google it, voila, a solution, it works.

Reaction score
You might reconsider your recording parameters, 24/7 versus on trigger only. Yes, you save some space, but you can easily miss important footage that is out of the trigger range. See the linked threads below.

Without the 24/7 recoding of these two cams, i could have never figured out this issue as the front door cam would not be triggered until the guy was on the porch.

In this next thread, my overview cams caught the action, and they never would have picked up a trigger unless the perp was to come up onto the yard.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Actually now that I think about my GTX 1060, it requires a full height Tower, PCIe slot, and PC with a larger Power supply.
P1000, P620, P600, P400 are all half height cards and running max of 47watt -30watt.
Since I don't need the most powerful card out there with most cuda cores, I found a cheap $60 P620 and it's perfect for my needs.

Last edited:

paul080803

n3wb
Reaction score
Since the new year work has been very busy, with no time to buy and install cameras. But back looking at it again.

Thanks to all the advice on here today I purchased an Elitedesk 800 SFF with I7-6700, 256gb ssd, 8gb ram and Win 10 Pro.

So I need to buy 2 HDD now and possibly some more RAM?

Would 4tb drives, set up in raid 1 give me about 2 weeks of recording from 12-14 cameras? I know there are variables with how the system is set up, but as a rough idea is 4tb storage enough?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't bother with RAID. It's not worth the problems when a drive fails. Simply assign/split the cameras between the two drives so that all the cameras in one area are not on the same drive. That way if one drive fails you have the other view still available. If a RAID drive fails, it'll take a day to rebuild the RAID and things are likely to get "lost" in the process.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
4 Terabytes is ok for a small number of cams. How many cams?
For reference one of my Blue Iris machines, is using 12 TB's across 18 cams.
and it appears as though I'm getting about 40-45 days of storage before over write.
8TB WD Purp + 5TB WD refurb- splitting the work. about 10 cams on 1 drive and 8 on the other.

paul080803

n3wb
Reaction score
4 Terabytes is ok for a small number of cams. How many cams?
For reference one of my Blue Iris machines, is using 12 TB's across 18 cams.
and it appears as though I'm getting about 40-45 days of storage before over write.
8TB WD Purp + 5TB WD refurb- splitting the work. about 10 cams on 1 drive and 8 on the other.
Thanks that is helpful. Will gradually go up to 14 cameras. If I do as sebastiantombs suggests and split them across two drives then it sounds like 6tb (2x 3tb) or 8tb (2x 4tb) will give more than the 14 days I want.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I reduced mine to 4TB on a 12 TB drive recently (needed to use space on the drive temporarily). With 18 cams total, 14 recording continuous, several of those being 4K and 4MP cams recording at higher than normal rates, a couple of 5MPs at normal rates, and a bunch of other 4-2MP cams pretty much normal, looks like that left me with about 6 days. Assuming a similar mix and running at more normal rates you'd get two weeks splitting cams across two 4TB drives with a little head room.

Reminds me that I need to change things back...