Has anyone cloned 3 monitors in windows 10

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have purchased some products to run monitors in other rooms with Ethernet just to find out I can only clone 2 monitors on windows 10. They work fine as 3 separate monitors or cloning 2.

Has anyone found a way?

it seems windows10 will not allow it - a spliter should work where you place it in the computer and run 2 monitors on that. I will keep it updated.

Thanks

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good splitter? I saw a few on amazon that in the reviews said they were NOT splitters.

Right now just 2 is screens are fine and no power.

baltomare1

n3wb
Reaction score
There are many HDMI splitters out there, some cheap and some a little pricier as I'm sure you've noticed. I recently had to buy an HDMI splitter for a setup I was doing that had one cable box splitting to two TVs but one was a 23" computer monitor and the other was a 50" TV. In this case, you're better off going with a better splitter because the screens are different sizes. I originally bought a cheap HDMI splitter which would work in your case if you're using two of the same monitors but failed in my situation because it didn't have EDID. My small computer monitor would flicker and give a black screen every so often. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0739GSKV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I switched to another splitter that had EDID and that fixed my problem. It could handle the different resolutions and refresh rates. The first splitter was $10 I think and the second $60, you get what you pay for. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BVWKDJP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have had no issues with the latter and recommend it if you don't mind spending $60. They sell many splitters if one input and two outputs is not enough.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are many HDMI splitters out there, some cheap and some a little pricier as I'm sure you've noticed. I recently had to buy an HDMI splitter for a setup I was doing that had one cable box splitting to two TVs but one was a 23" computer monitor and the other was a 50" TV. In this case, you're better off going with a better splitter because the screens are different sizes. I originally bought a cheap HDMI splitter which would work in your case if you're using two of the same monitors but failed in my situation because it didn't have EDID. My small computer monitor would flicker and give a black screen every so often. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0739GSKV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I switched to another splitter that had EDID and that fixed my problem. It could handle the different resolutions and refresh rates. The first splitter was $10 I think and the second $60, you get what you pay for. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BVWKDJP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have had no issues with the latter and recommend it if you don't mind spending $60. They sell many splitters if one input and two outputs is not enough.
Yes cost is no issue if it works. I bought one that was $15 and it seemed to pick up 2 screens on the main computer and then when i turned on my TV screen it just went blank on all monitors and on windows it is only showing 1 screen. So I think that is the issue.

I am going to return and try this. I am using this with ethernet wiring and adapter so not sure if that is an issue but first try doesn't seem to have worked. Do you know what would cause windows to pick up 2 screens and then go blank when switching to the TV screen?

baltomare1

n3wb
Reaction score
The different refresh rate and resolutions between your computer screen and TV would cause this. You need an HDMI splitter with EDID like the one I mentioned. It has jumpers for learning mode. It will take the signal from your pc monitor and then your TV and find a setting they can both handle.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The different refresh rate and resolutions between your computer screen and TV would cause this. You need an HDMI splitter with EDID like the one I mentioned. It has jumpers for learning mode. It will take the signal from your pc monitor and then your TV and find a setting they can both handle.
Thanks. That is great info. I will be picking that up today.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I notice it says they won’t work with HDMI cables over 30 feet. I have several monitors hooked up with 50 foot cables and they work fine. Cable I use: C&E 50 Feet, High Speed HDMI... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RYRJYDG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I have Ethernet running to the monitors and using this to get the picture so the distance is OK:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NHHLA0

I have the non EDID versions of their splitters and they have lasted a long time. I didn’t know EDID was a thing until now! Explains why one of my monitors didn’t work with my existing splitter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same. It was frustrating using a HDMI splitter and not have it work over and over until @baltomare1 found the issue I was having.

Hopefully it will work.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got one with a EDID.. All display but 32" monitor is blurry bad resolution. TV is not bad. And smaller 20" main screen (i call it main screen) since it is in with bi server is ok.

What am I doing wrong? It seems nearly impossible for me to mirror these screens with 3 different monitors :(

baltomare1

n3wb
Reaction score
Which one did you get? Does it have jumpers to change on it? Mine had a learning mode setting. I’ll see if I can find my instructions to see the steps I took. The first cheaper splitter I bought claimed to have EDID and said that it will take the settings from whatever is plugged into 1 and clone them for 2. I had issues with that never working right, blinking, screens blacking out or going off and then working again on and off. The second splitter had the learning mode jumper and I just plugged it in and the screens flickered and them they worked right away.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which one did you get? Does it have jumpers to change on it? Mine had a learning mode setting. I’ll see if I can find my instructions to see the steps I took. The first cheaper splitter I bought claimed to have EDID and said that it will take the settings from whatever is plugged into 1 and clone them for 2. I had issues with that never working right, blinking, screens blacking out or going off and then working again on and off. The second splitter had the learning mode jumper and I just plugged it in and the screens flickered and them they worked right away.
Learning mode did not work. I bought this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FBZ02C0

My only other option I guess more expensive is this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HB91Z2M

The only thing that worked was the first setting out of box - I guess it cloned the lower res 20" monitor. And 32" was blurry did not look good but on TV it wasn't bad.

baltomare1

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you swap the ports you plugged them into? Is the 20” monitor plugged into 1 on the splitter and the other 2? Try reversing them and plug the 20” into port 1 and the other 2. Leave it on and see if it fixes itself in a couple of minutes.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you swap the ports you plugged them into? Is the 20” monitor plugged into 1 on the splitter and the other 2? Try reversing them and plug the 20” into port 1 and the other 2. Leave it on and see if it fixes itself in a couple of minutes.
yes it seems it says to put lowest res monitor in port 1. I switched to 32" monitor to port 1 and others in 2/3 and nothing showed. I left it in mimic port 1 and then learning. This didn't do anything - left it in for a few minutes.

I will try again to see if that helps.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got my answer from support. Nothing I can do then:
"The smallest monitor supports the lowest resolution (1600 x 900) of all of three connected so all three monitors are getting the same resolution output to them which is 1600 x 900. Unfortunately, you can't change this because this is the best resolution supported by 20" monitor. Unfortunately, HDMI splitter can't output different resolutions to each of the outputs."

I'd probably have to buy a 1920x1080 20" monitor for that 1 location to get it to mirror.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE.

-I just needed to hook up another 1080p monitor - once I did all was ok. My other monitor was 1600x900 so that is why it did not work.

I went with this splitter - good product, fast replies to email and inexpensive for what I can tell the same thing as more expensive products:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FBZ02C0

baltomare1

n3wb
Reaction score
Glad it finally worked out. I know how frustrating it can be figuring this stuff out. I spent many hours trying to figure my problem out and refused to accept it wouldn’t work. It’s the best feeling when you finally get it working and you get to walk around doing your George Jefferson strut.