Has anyone heard of Eclipse Cams/NVR?

Reaction score
To add to @looney2ns ' great suggestion, consider trying ==>> Better Business Bureau

At the above link I suggest using the category "low voltage contractor" and "BBB Accredited Only"; put in the name of your city and state then click on "search."
Thanks for the suggestions! I did try searching for an low voltage contractor via google but didn’t try the bbb. The quote I provided actually came from one of those search results. I did a quick bbb search and it looks like there are more options so I will be reaching out Monday

Reaction score
No matter what you do, make sure you test each position BEFORE you have cable run. Get a single varifocal cam, like a T5442, and mount it on a test rig as described in the WIKI. Walk the area in daytime and night time to see if you get the results you want.

View attachment 120095
I saw that in the wiki, thanks for the reminder. If I am starting with scratch (no switch, no Nvr, etc), how can I test one camera? I might be over thinking it but wanted to be sure.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I saw that in the wiki, thanks for the reminder. If I am starting with scratch (no switch, no Nvr, etc), how can I test one camera? I might be over thinking it but wanted to be sure.
These cameras have a camera GUI that you log into the camera directly from a web browser (Explorer is the preferred browser) and then you can see the camera live. Put in an SD card and then you can watch recorded video. You could also download the DMSS app. It works well for one camera, but it would be insanely slow for a whole system.

Reaction score
These cameras have a camera GUI that you log into the camera directly from a web browser (Explorer is the preferred browser) and then you can see the camera live. Put in an SD card and then you can watch recorded video. You could also download the DMSS app. It works well for one camera, but it would be insanely slow for a whole system.
Thanks for the quick reply. So if I understand you correctly, I can do this:

1. Order camera
2. Install sd card into camera
3. Mount camera via test rig as described in wiki
4. Either download the DMSS app or log in via IE but either way I can see what my camera sees therefore can test it during day/night

Sound right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome! You are well on your way to getting the right system and only paying once for it! Too many of us went down other paths before we found this site.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't forget that you'll need either a PoE switch or a PoE injector to conveniently power the camera. I'd also suggest getting a 150 or 200 foot, weatherproof rated, ethernet cable, CAT5E or CAT6. That may sound like a really long cable, but there's nothing worse than coming up ten feet short when you're testing locations due to how it gets routed for a temporary hookup while maintaining weatherproof entry for the cable.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t mind some of the install but will admit not the most handiest person….my big concern is the wiring since i have a two story house…the few people that would give me a quote was saying how difficult of job it is since I don’t really really have an attic and how my house is designed. Im ok with technology and sure I could figure out the setup of the actual Nvr and cameras once the wiring is done
Hi @Prof3ssorblu

" …. my big concern is the wiring since i have a two story house…the few people that would give me a quote was saying how difficult of job .. I don’t really really have an attic and how my house is designed."

Yes, 2 story houses are more difficult.

No attic, No basement = more difficult.

That stated,

If you have an attached garage, that can be a great starting point for the core of your system.

Remember any holes made in the exterior wall, you want to seal very very well for most newer homes.

This is especially true for homes made with "vertical mulch" board .. OSB .. or even Plywood ..