Has anyone seen a significant benefit from adding an Nvidia Graphics card?

rtfclb8

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm debating purchasing an Nvidia graphics card to add to my server. Has anyone done this, and if so have you seen any improvements?

My Specs:
Windows 10 64 bit
i7 4790K
16GB RAM

Cameras:
4 Dahua 3mp POE
4 Foscam wifi

Thanks,

George

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You won't see any benefit, your performance would be worse... use Intel HD and enable hardware acceleration... what is your load now?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks!
At the moment I am hovering around 35% +-2%
something is set incorrectly...you should be at about 15 percent (Assuming the foscams are 1080p, if they are lower even less)...
Have you enabled direct to disk and HA for all cams?

rtfclb8

n3wb
Reaction score
something is set incorrectly...you should be at about 15 percent (Assuming the foscams are 1080p, if they are lower even less)...
Have you enabled direct to disk and HA for all cams?
Yes, I followed to config guide. The 4 Dahua's are running @ 3mp.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I followed to config guide. The 4 Dahua's are running @ 3mp.
i understand that the dahuas are 3mp..you dont state the foscam resolution..
what frame rates?
As stated even if the foscams are 1080p you should be in the 15 percent range or lower..go back and confirm that each camera is set to direct to disk...
Are you viewing on local monitor or logging in remote via teamviewer or similar?

rtfclb8

n3wb
Reaction score
My apologies, my brain was fried from running cables in the attic in 95 degree weather.
There are actually only 3 Wireless Foscams, and they are old, hence 640 X 480 resolution I believe.
I will confirm all my settings when I get home tonight. I am running BITools, which is where I'm getting my CPU utilization.
When home I use remote desktop to access the server, otherwise I log into the web server.

I did notice that this morning, I am running around 20% +/- 3%
When I posted last night, my outdoor cameras were in IR mode (don't know if that impacts cpu)

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

George

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My apologies, my brain was fried from running cables in the attic in 95 degree weather.
There are actually only 3 Wireless Foscams, and they are old, hence 640 X 480 resolution I believe.
I will confirm all my settings when I get home tonight. I am running BITools, which is where I'm getting my CPU utilization.
When home I use remote desktop to access the server, otherwise I log into the web server.

I did notice that this morning, I am running around 20% +/- 3%
When I posted last night, my outdoor cameras were in IR mode (don't know if that impacts cpu)

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

George
check cpu by using the blue iris mobile app, or direct via local monitor...
hardware acceleration does not work on the old foscams they are not h.264...
you should be at 10 percent being that the foscams are only vga...
What are your frame rates?
are these numbers with the interface open or closed?