Has anyone tried making their own Hand Sanitizer?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just picked up a bottle of Everclear. It was the last one in the store. The cashier said people were buying it to make hand sanitizer. She said it'll be on backorder.
Nice. How much/size? Is it 190 or 151 proof?

Sounds like you are on the right track.
The CDC recommended formulation basically mimics the WHO formulations

WHO Formulation 1:
ethanol 80% v/v
glycerol 1.45% v/v
hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) 0.125% v/v

WHO Formulation 2:
isopropyl alcohol 75% v/v
glycerol 1.45% v/v
hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) 0.125% v/v

Most legitimate peer-reviewed research suggests that these are extremely effective on bacteria but also effective on certain types of enveloped viruses like Zika, Ebola, and of particular interest now-a-days Cornavirus.
In our labs we use formulation 1 without glycerol and it does a great job on bacteria which is our primary contaminate.

Based on the actual science I have read, I would personally use formulation 1 (replace glycerol with aloe vera) for COVID-19 if I could not use soap and water.
Great info. Why do you suggest replacing glycerol with aloe vera?

I pay $38 locally for my 1.75 liter bottles of Everclear. Not as cheap as isopropyl was, but when you spritz them vs dumping them on stuff, it will last a really long time.

Plus, most people haven't figured it out yet, as I'm still seeing it on shelves. Haven't seen an isopropyl bottle on a shelf since March.
That is a lot cheaper than many places and you have to consider tax and availability. These are out of stock in many areas and they are not organic. It is a better choice if this is all you have available.

Online it is normally $34 for 1L. In NY it can be up to $50+ for 1.75L adding up quickly to a gallon with tax.

Where is the link for the $30/gallon ethyl alcohol you speak of? I've seen it for $59/gallon then you have to pay a Hazmat fee then you have to pay a shipping fee.
There was many around but all prices have gone up now due to the demand. I bought 3 gallons for $100 shipped (not organic). It is no longer on the site and all prices went way up since I made this post. The organic ethyl I purchased was $80 a gallon (5 gallons) - this included the shipping and hazmat fees but so far it is great and something I use for other projects too so it is worth the purchase. On the organic ethyl shipping was fast but the 5 gallons are out of stock now and the 1 gallon are more money.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just picked up a bottle of Everclear. It was the last one in the store. The cashier said people were buying it to make hand sanitizer. She said it'll be on backorder.
I guess people are on to it. I'm out in the sticks so my stores take a little longer to run out. At least you got a bottle. It will last through the end of this hopefully.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Everclear 151 proof 1.75 $38...if I don't use it I'll drink it! :D I believe 190 proof is not legal in Florida. :angry:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Everclear 151 proof 1.75 $38...if I don't use it I'll drink it! :D I believe 190 proof is not legal in Florida. :angry:
That is not bad. You can cut it with a little bit of water to get it down to 70% and it will last longer.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
There was many around but all prices have gone up now due to the demand. I bought 3 gallons for $100 shipped (not organic). It is no longer on the site and all prices went way up since I made this post. The organic ethyl I purchased was $80 a gallon (5 gallons) - this included the shipping and hazmat fees but so far it is great and something I use for other projects too so it is worth the purchase. On the organic ethyl shipping was fast but the 5 gallons are out of stock now and the 1 gallon are more money.
Which website did you purchase from?

Donut17

n3wb
Reaction score
No functional reason for replacing glycerol with aloe vera..... aloe can be easier to find and is great for skin moisture.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Hand Sanitizers are coming back in stock fast.