Have I killed these 2 IP cams?

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys

I am baffled right now. I have a 8 Hikvision and Dahua IP cams combined in my setup. I set up my own cat6 solid core cabling throughout the house through a netgear POE switch (JGS516PE)

ALl ports I made through my patch panel have been tested with a cable tester. 8 Pairs all light up ok on each end. Proceed to then connect one IP camera at a time to identify which patch belongs to which camera. ALl turn on ok and power up
Proceed to connected all POE ports to all IP cameras. I log into each one set up the IPs and check for live view feed etc. Done all 7 of out 8 cameras. I have one left and noticed its not pinging. I undo the dome cover and reset it to default. Still cannot connect to it ( after changing my computer to the same network address as the default)
I then grabbed a long regular made from factory patch cable to check if the cable I made was broken ( even though the cable tester is saying its working) and nothing... no power at all to the camera

Thought the camera died . I have a spare Dahua IP camera and connect the patch cable to the poe switch. It powers on. Great.... right?
Now this is where things get spooky. I then mount the spare Dahua IP cam to replace the original dead camera, connect it to the internal solid core cabling and connect the corresponding patch panel port to the poe switch port. The camera does not power on and there is no light on the switch for the port its connected to

I take both IP cameras out and connect them directly to the poe switch and they now both wont turn on. I Try different ports on the switch and try an POE NVR ( also spare) to and they are not turning on.
Attach files
I have no idea why the cat6 cable would fry these cameras as the cable tester gave me the all ok....

I dont know what else to try . Are these cameras now good for the rubbish? If so I cannot believe this I lost 2 cameras to something I dont even know what has caused it and my cable tester give me a positive result

First dead camera: DS-2CD2142WD-I
2nd dead spare camera - DH-IPC-HDBW1431E

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont know what else to try . Are these cameras now good for the rubbish? If so I cannot believe this I lost 2 cameras to something I dont even know what has caused it and my cable tester give me a positive result
Maybe you've reached the power limit of the switch.
What does the switch management GUI say for the ports status?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea why the cat6 cable would fry these cameras as the cable tester gave me the all ok....
On the other hand (I see you also tried another PoE source) -
What wiring scheme did you use for the cables you crimped?

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On the other hand (I see you also tried another PoE source) -
What wiring scheme did you use for the cables you crimped?
All good. I used 568A throughout the house

Even if the wiring was faulty... It should still power on, with another cable and power source right?

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I managed to get the spare camera going. I re-crimped the cable . I climbed in the attic and unplugged and plugged it back in. Noticed it was very hard to push in and clip on. Then the cable tester skipped some pairs intermittently. So the RJ45 plug was a bit flakey but gave me all 8 lights at the start. After re-crimping I unplugged and re-plugged, jiggled it around and it was a solid 8 lights on the tester
Plugged in the spare camera to the new crimped jack and to the poe switch ( it was already mounted in the ceiling) and will be using this instead now, and its all systems go

My hikvision on the other hand is still broken

Is it possible regular cat5e cables dont have enough to power on a IP camera if they are 20 meters long?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
*edit This was written before I saw your post above. So probably no longer relevant, but I'll leave it anyway.

Do you have a 12v power supply to test the cameras with instead of PoE?

I've bought a couple of cameras where the Ethernet transformers have been electrically damaged, not like from a lightning strike surge, more like just an overcurrent.
I wondered how that could happen, when PoE has an electrical handshake to initiate power, and should be current limited.
I've not taken a look at this in any detail, but I've seen differences in how the power supplied over PoE is isolated, or not, from mains ground potential from different sources.

On a Netgear 24-port PoE switch that I just use for testing, the PoE outputs are floating relative to ground, they are isolated, just a decoupling capacitor to ground.
On some Hikvision NVRs that I've looked at, the 48v power brick negative pole is bonded to the chassis, which is connected to mains ground.
And because the PoE PD power negotiation is carried out on the low side of the source, it means that there is solid uncontrolled +48v power permanetly applied to the pairs of any ethernet cable that's connected, independent of whether the PD (ie the camera) has requested power or not.

The net result is that if for any reason any of the low-side twisted pairs happened to touch a ground connection, the full 48v power would be applied through one winding of the ethernet transformer, more than enough to burn it out, especially as there is a bulk capacitor across the 48v supply.
It might be interesting to see how your switch 48v power is connected. Is the negative input connected to mains ground, for example.

It's a bit speculative, but it's my thought about how those cameras I bought off eBay had their ethernet transformers damaged.
The devices worked OK after I replaced the transformers.

I have no idea whether this is relevant to your problem.
But it seems to be that there are circumstances where a cable fault could damage the internals of a PoE camera.
As a long shot - maybe examine the ethernet transformer in the failed cameras with a magnifying glass, and see if there is any visible damage or discolouration showing. You won't see the windings - but the case is very thin and could show signs of heat.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I then grabbed a long regular made from factory patch cable to check if the cable I made was broken ( even though the cable tester is saying its working) and nothing... no power at all to the camera
That's conflicting with that you've discovered the original cable was faulty.
What was the length of the pre-made, and is it CCA as opposed to solid or stranded copper?

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's conflicting with that you've discovered the original cable was faulty.
What was the length of the pre-made, and is it CCA as opposed to solid or stranded copper?
Sorry for the late reply. I have since resolved the issue. THe issue was the cable on the camera end had a dodgy connector. It would work sometimes and if you move it, it would disconnect

I have fixed it and I am running the Dahua spare IP camera
but my Hikvision dome is still not turning on...