Have i maxed out my BI system?

staind204

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So originally I thought I'd only need 4-5 cameras but as I started setting them up, I realized I needed more. Right now I'm sitting at 7 cameras and think if I can add just 1 more I'll be satisfied for now. I want to add 1 more IPC-Color4K-X, they are by far the best cameras in my current setup. My CPU usually stays in the 60% range but memory is ranging from 65% and up, I've even seen it hit 99% sporadically.

I believe I've gone through most optimization steps on here. I know they are doing the direct recording (no reencoding). I have them all set to 15 fps on the main stream and substream. I think they have a "frames" setting as well but those are set to 30. Maybe that's something to change?

Should my setup be performing better? I think another 8mp color camera w my current settings will kill my pc. Hoping there are more tweaks I can do to make this work. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

My specs
Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF @ 3.40 GHZ
16GB Ram
Ssd for windows 10
Wd purple HDD for videos

My cams (all continuous recording, only 1 w motion alerts too)
3 x EmpireTech 4K 8MP IPC-Color4K-X (1 w project AI motion alerts)
1 x Loryta Camera Smart 2MP Ultra Low Light IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E
1 x EmpireTech IP Wired Camera 2x4MP Starlight IR Mini Dome Dual Lens IPC-HDBW5441F-AS-E2
2 x EmpireTech Full-Color 4MP Dual Lens IPC-T5449H-ASE-D2

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got a HP Prodesk i7-7700 cpu, 8 gig of ram, 13 cameras (12 x 5442's) and my cpu hovers between 7 & 10%, ram currently showing 5%. I'm running Windows 10 de-bloated and hasn't been windows updated for nearly 3 years.

There must be something else going on with your system.

staind204

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, that's reassuring. Hopefully I can fix this with some settings modifications.

Are you doing any motion alerts? I know when I set up project AI, it made my mem jump quite a bit. Since it's only running motion alerts on 1 cam and I have 16gb memory...still seems really high.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah you got something else going on. Folks run 50 cameras on 4th generation CPU at less CPU% than you.

Is BI excluded from anti-virus?
Do you have Defrag on?
Which optimizations did you do?

Post a screenshot of your BI camera status page - it will show things like camera name, IP, FPS, KEY and at bottom MP/s

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah check the disk ( defrag/Optimizer) If you can, turn off the scheduler for optimization. then you could occasionally optimize the SSD manually, i just did it and it took about 3 seconds. So it must not have needed it in the last 20 days of use.
other wise the hard drive arm is flailing away doing writes, and then moving data in a vain attempt to defrag a drive that Bi is managing free space on.
1685080290199.png

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you running CP AI?

Not too sure which model of CPU you have but if I run CP AI on my i5-6500 it ramps up the RAM and CPU usage, without it it hovers between 20-25% but in all honesty I don’t take any real notice of it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That reminds me of how HDD's are portrayed in Hollywood....a HDD is kind of boring siting there but if you remove the cover so the audience can see the sinister, spinning platter and the head seeking deviously, it takes on a whole new, evil persona. Like in the '96 action flick "Executive Decision" with Kurt Russell.

We all know how long a HDD could function properly with that cover not in place. Below is a screen shot from that flick, the HDD comes up at the :32 sec. mark, it's part of a complicated explosive package. Never mind we could likely have used a 128MB flash drive (hey, it's 1996!) instead of a 340MB hard drive, the drive is so much more.....uh....scary!

exec-decision_naked -HDD.jpg

staind204

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well guys, I'll admit when I've screwed up. I had forgot I upgraded my BI version back in April for the first time. Somehow my substreams got wiped out in BI (they were enabled in the cam UI, but gone from BI). I also found a recent camera I set up was not doing direct to disc recording.

After I made those fixes, things look significantly better. At this moment CPU is at 5%, memory is at 30%.

I may still do a little more digging as the memory still seems a bit high but way better than when I posted yesterday. I guess this means I can add more than just "one more camera." Thanks again for the replies, sorry for wasting people's time. I should have done more thorough research before posting.

BTW- any reason for me to upgrade BI to the 5/25 version or am I safe to stay on the stable version from last month?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us are running older versions of BI.

No reason to update if it is working for your needs.

Only update if you want to be a beta tester (which are needed) OR if they add a feature you really want or need.

I am still on a version before it changed to CodeProject because Deepstack works for my situation and nothing as been added that I really, really need and risk jacking up my system over.