HD safe maximum capacity

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have read that writing a hard drive to full capacity is not advised. This apparently causes slower read speeds, but I'm not concerned about this on my Blue Iris storage drive.

So is there any mechanical issues with filling up a HD, or loss of data?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have read that writing a hard drive to full capacity is not advised. This apparently causes slower read speeds, but I'm not concerned about this on my Blue Iris storage drive.

So is there any mechanical issues with filling up a HD, or loss of data?
you want blue iris to have extra room on the drive...particularly if you have combine and cut set to large amounts..i leave about 50gb free....
blue iris states in the help file that it will try to keep 1gb free..

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, thanks. Out of curiosity why is it necessary to even keep 50gb free? I can understand leaving some small amount of room at the end, but if there is even 1gb there what occurs?

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK so I guess I specify the limit under each folder in "Clips and Archiving". Is the "limit size" in GB's for the entire folder i.e. stored, or is this specifying the clip size?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK so I guess I specify the limit under each folder in "Clips and Archiving". Is the "limit size" in GB's for the entire folder i.e. stored, or is this specifying the clip size?
this is the size of the folder...all folders total have to be less than the drive size..remember 1tb is not 1000gb

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, thanks. Out of curiosity why is it necessary to even keep 50gb free? I can understand leaving some small amount of room at the end, but if there is even 1gb there what occurs?
like i said, blue iris cannot close a file out if its still writing you might have issues..there are other reasons for leaving free space including fragmentation...

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got it........just made changes leaving 50gb free.