HD-TVI DVR Bandwidth

rdagger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How do you calculate the bandwidth of an HD-TVI camera?
I'm looking at a Hikvision DS-7216HUHI-F2/N Tribrid DVR. It's maximum incoming/outgoing bandwidth is 128 Mbps. I want to use 16 HD-TVI cameras (2MP 30FPS and/or 3MP 15FPS) and 2 3MP IP cameras.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A HDTVI camera does not use incoming bandwidth, it comes direct to the DVR over a coaxial cable.

The outgoing bandwidth on those HDTVi cameras will depend at what bitrate you encode it (by default I think it is 4Mbps on a 2MP channel).

rdagger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A HDTVI camera does not use incoming bandwidth, it comes direct to the DVR over a coaxial cable.

The outgoing bandwidth on those HDTVi cameras will depend at what bitrate you encode it (by default I think it is 4Mbps on a 2MP channel).
Thanks, so outgoing is just viewing the cameras and playback?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I can tell you that there is a constraint of some type, either FPS or Mbps? with HDCVI recorders and I assume TVI would be similar.

For Dahua Tribrid VCR's for instance (HCVR7208-S3) , if I have 8 CVI cameras running 6Mbps each recording full time @ 30FPS. That would be 240FPS and 48Mbps. I also run the Motion/Alarm at 6Mbps as it has been shown that running Motion recording to match the framerate and bitrate of the regular recording seems to prevent problems with frames lost or skipped when recording motion events on top of full time recording. Combining the full time recording and motion recording that makes 96Mbps

If I add a camera, I am forced to reduce FPS on some to get back under the 240FPS. If I reduce 2 cams to 15 FPS it's all good again. The DVR will force some cameras to 15FPS if I dont when I exceed the total FPS. I can't be sure if it's the bandwidth or the FPS that is triggering the limitation or a combination of the two...I guess I could experiment more and find out..

rdagger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, it's hard to get any specifics to calculate the limits. I called Hikvision tech support and the guy told me a 3MP cameras use 3Mbps which I'm sure is not correct.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Um.. no. The bitrate you set for each camera determines the bandwidth. On most Tribrid/Pentabrid DVr's by Dahua, they spell out a max incoming bandwidth, typically 48 for 8 channel DVR's and 96 Mbps for 16 channel DVR's. I assume this includes both CVI cameras being recorded as well as IP cameras if you have any (The XVR series can even play nice with TVI cams)