HDMI suddenly stopped working?

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Hikvision DS-7608NI-K2 / 8P which has been working fine. Ive been using this with a HDMI over Cat6 conversion to allow me to view the camera feeds downstairs whilst the NVR is in the loft. This has worked fine for the past year or so with no issues.

I noticed yesterday that I was getting no signal on my local monitor and went into the loft and noticed that the HDMI over cat6 splitter was dead, I ordered a new one and this seems to be fine but still no feed from the HDMI. Its seems the VGA ports working but the HDMI is not.

Could this be a hardware failure? Maybe the splitter has failed and killed the HDMI port? Has anyone seen this happen before and are HDMI failures common on these NVR's?

Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could this be a hardware failure? Maybe the splitter has failed and killed the HDMI port? Has anyone seen this happen before and are HDMI failures common on these NVR's?
Any recent lightning in the vicinity?

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By a 5v 2.0 amp power adapter

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After more testing it does seem the hdmi is dead . I have bought a VGA to HDMI which works fine but I ideally need to use both the VGA and HDMI ports.

I'm thinking of replacing the NVR and maybe sell this on with a faulty port.

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between the K2 and I2 series NVR?

I did flash my K2 with the I series firmware giving me the 4 GUI but is there much difference and worth the price difference?

Thanks

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a similar issue recently with a customers system (an older 7608E2) that stopped working with HDMI and I have proven it to be the TV that was at fault. The TV would show the initial Hikvision splash screen at power up but then would go black and wouldn't sync with the NVR. The NVR worked fine on six other TV's I connected it to, but no matter how I set the local output of the NVR it failed to display on his Sony on any HDMI port (though it had when installed) even after swapping cables etc. The TV just wouldn't work with a 60HZ signal anymore. Try the NVR on another monitor/TV to prove which is at fault.

With regard to the K2 vs I2 - I've just replaced my 7608NI-K2 with a 7616NI-I2. I'd also tried the V4 firmware (since removed from the Hik portal) but found it buggy. The I2 works much better - will happily display the playback thumbnails all the way up to 8MP cameras, plays back all 8 of my cameras simultaneously, with V4 firmware allows configuration of more items (cam exposure, min/max object size for alarms, viewing of human/vehicle captures on GUI). It also has a separate composite monitor output. The K2 is on its way out being replaced by the Q2 I believe whereas the I2 is considered to be the "performance" model.