HDView License Plate Camera

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The application is looking down a driveway to capture driver/passenger & vehicle info on the way in and the plate on the way out.
The driveway will have multiple motion activated solar charged flood lights to illuminate the vehicle.
The driveway travel area is approximately 20'-50' from camera location.
At the street end of the driveway the vehicle will be contained in a 24' wide by 24' long fenced area.
HDView License Plate Camera, 4-in-1 (TVI/CVI/AHD/960H) Bullet Camera, 2.4MP Full HD 1080P Security Camera with IR Night Vision, Long Range 5-50mm Lens Surveillance Camera, WDR, HLC
WDYT?
Thanks,
David

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Plus it is an analog camera, not an IP camera.

It claims you can adjust shutter, but who knows if you can and it is auto shutter, then likely you can't.

Plus 20 to 50 feet away is too big of a spread for LPR. They are much tighter.

If you have an IP POE system, at that distance, this would be the camera to get, and it is cheaper than that untested analog camera with two reviews that are not exactly stellar:

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Plus it is an analog camera, not an IP camera.

It claims you can adjust shutter, but who knows if you can and it is auto shutter, then likely you can't.

Plus 20 to 50 feet away is too big of a spread for LPR. They are much tighter.

If you have an IP POE system, at that distance, this would be the camera to get, and it is cheaper than that untested analog camera with two reviews that are not exactly stellar:

The description of the Loryta says Identification at 14' short lens and 49' long lens - are they referring to two different cameras or the extremes of the optical zoom?

There's also some concern reported as to longevity. It will be facing north - so I could shelter it from morning sun from the east and also from sun and rain from above. Are sun and rain the most common causes of failure?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The description of the Loryta says Identification at 14' short lens and 49' long lens - are they referring to two different cameras or the extremes of the optical zoom?

There's also some concern reported as to longevity. It will be facing north - so I could shelter it from morning sun from the east and also from sun and rain from above. Are sun and rain the most common causes of failure?
Yes the varifocal has different IDENTIFY distances based on the amount of zoom you set the varifocal for. The more zoom, the further the distance.

Yes, weather can impact the longevity of a camera. The one longevity complaint about the Loryta is probably due to a failing SD card. The behavior the reviewer described is typical of when an SD card is failing. A simple replacement of the SD card would probably make the camera stable again.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes the varifocal has different IDENTIFY distances based on the amount of zoom you set the varifocal for. The more zoom, the further the distance.

Yes, weather can impact the longevity of a camera. The one longevity complaint about the Loryta is probably due to a failing SD card. The behavior the reviewer described is typical of when an SD card is failing. A simple replacement of the SD card would probably make the camera stable again.
OK, cool, thanks. I wonder as to the quality of the lens and the quality of the image at max zoom.

I'd probably not bother with the sd-card (never really understood why they're used at all). My preference is to stream to my pc and save images there (or to an NVR).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have used several of these for years with no issue. One did have the SD card wear out and caused those issues, but replacing it fixed it.

Folks put SD cards in the camera as a redundancy in the event the NVR or computer poops out or is stolen.

The Loryta is a Dahua OEM sold by member here @EMPIRETECANDY so it is much better quality than the HDView you are looking at. I tried that route before going to Andy's Dahua OEMs.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have used several of these for years with no issue. One did have the SD card wear out and caused those issues, but replacing it fixed it.

Folks put SD cards in the camera as a redundancy in the event the NVR or computer poops out or is stolen.

The Loryta is a Dahua OEM sold by member here @EMPIRETECANDY so it is much better quality than the HDView you are looking at. I tried that route before going to Andy's Dahua OEMs.
That's awesome information, thanks! I'll be giving it a try. Does the Forum benefit if I use a link of some sort from here to buy it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Andy is one of the suppliers to the IPCT store, so you benefit him and the forum if you buy it from the store link here!

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy is one of the suppliers to the IPCT store, so you benefit him and the forum if you buy it from the store link here!
Do I need to make a special request if using it where the preferred IP is 192.168.50.xx (same as our current cams)?

One of the Commenters said he needed to do that because the default address wouldn't work for him.

This will be deployed in a Linux or OpenBSD environment, so Blue Iris isn't an option.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That commenter was stupid and used to Ring and arlo scan a QR code lol. Operator error on his part.

You can change the camera IP address to whatever you want.

kd4e

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That commenter was stupid and used to Ring and arlo scan a QR code lol. Operator error on his part.

You can change the camera IP address to whatever you want.
I thought it sounded odd - but best to ask rather than have to deal with a return. Thanks.