He called first dibs on checking out the new birdhouse. :p

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You never know who will be first when you put up a new birdhouse. Last year's new birdhouse, a sparrow and a wren were constantly ripping up each other's beginning of a nest and ultimately the house didn't even get used. Time will tell with this one. :)

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Very cool. Fun project. What's your camera setup?
Since a wren is smaller than most sparrows, a smaller opening will give them the edge. Just glue a metal washer over the opening to reduce the size and also prevent a larger bird from pecking away at the opening to enlarge it. If you have a birdhouse for wrens and one for sparrows, you can double the fun.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My cam for the birdhouse is just a cheapie SV3C 1080P cam. The one last year was one of those generic ones that kids get at school to make (my grandson made it for us) that I modified for a cam. The birdhouse this year was 3D Printed (a design I put up on Thingiverse). It's the right size for wrens, no perch (to help keep the crap birds at bay), and the opening is a longer tunnel to help out even more.

"If you have a birdhouse for wrens and one for sparrows, you can double the fun. "

Heh, trust me, we have birdhouses around here. Plenty to go around. :)

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Ssayer - I'd like to see a pic of your custom birdhouse. Sounds very interesting, and creative.
Also would like to see how you mounted the camera. Can't wait to see video clips when you get some nesters.
I can see adding some wildlife cams in the future, especially for night time activity.

PS - Thanks for your service in the USCG. Quite an honor. RESPECT!

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Here's my birdhouse on Thingiverse:

I've got a lot of things up there getting shared (same user name as here).

As to your last statement... Thank you, but I joined the service in 1971 because I thought it was the right thing to do (for me) at the time and not for any special meaning that the MSM has been hyping for the last few years... ;)

Reaction score

As to your last statement... Thank you, but I joined the service in 1971 because I thought it was the right thing to do (for me) at the time and not for any special meaning that the MSM has been hyping for the last few years... ;)
Pretty cool thanks for the pics.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Thanks for the link. Very cool. Please share your nesting videos when you get them.
Re your service, doesn't matter the reason. You stepped up and served your country during a turbulent time in US history. More admirable than going to a foot doctor.