Hello all! Looking for feedback on proposed system.

bgbmboo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all! Very long time lurker and new member. Finally decided to get working on my home security system and have been spending the past few weeks researching and learning. I think I've put together a good start to my system but would very much appreciate any thoughts or advice. I had been leaning strongly on buying from EmpireTech and plan to take advantage of the fall sale this week. After finding his how-to program NVR videos it seems about as plug and play as it gets.

Here is my current build list:
NVR5216-4KS2 from ipcamtalk store, without PoE. Edit - decided to go with the 16 CH.
WP Purple HDD - 4tb to start, will expand later when I add more cameras
BV-Tech 10 port PoE+ Gigabit Switch
Cat5e from ipcamtalk to ensure I end up with a quality cable
1x IPC-Color4k-T
2x - IPC-T5442T-ZE

Regarding my camera selections, my residence is very rural and open so naturally very dark. I only have one source of ambient light from a barn light roughly 135' from the house. I plan to place the 4k-T on this corner of the house overlooking the garage door area and quite a bit of driveway. I've read these cameras need some ambient light so hopefully I have enough. The barn light is bright enough I can see my shadow when I walk across this area the driveway on overcast nights. One 5442 will face rest of the driveway that comes straight towards the camera. I know it won't be good enough for license plates but it will cover all traffic in/out. The second 5442 will be my test camera used around the property to determine what other camera's I need as I plan to buy another 3-4 in the future.

Other thoughts.
Network security - TBD. My ISP provided unmarked modem/router combo most likely will not get it done so I will look in to other options to add a VPN. Need to do more research on this.
UPS battery backup to be purchased in the future.
The switch will be placed in a closet with a shelf near the ceiling for easy cable access. Two cables will run from the switch, one to the NVR and one to router, both of which are close to a TV for easy programming and viewing.

I feel like I have been doing so much research I have started to over think the whole thing. :) So what does everyone think? Any suggestions or details I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, I'm looking forward to learning more about these systems.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My thoughts:

NVR5208: Good model. But 8 channels will fill up fast (ask around, it's true). Consider 16 CH.

Purple Drive: Good.

BV-Tech POE Switch: Good brand (I use them). But the reviews for that model have several complaints about failing ports.

CAT5e: If any cable is outdoors (or exposed to sunlight) then be sure to use outdoor rated cable in those areas.

IPC-Color: Given the low light conditions I suggest selecting a IR camera rather than full color.

IPC-T5442T-ZE: Very good general purpose choice.

UPS Backup: I consider this a mandatory accessory on networks and cameras.

Closet Mounting, upper shelf: That's what I did. Gets hot in there. Had to add an exhaust fan (and speed control), like this:
- Thomas

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bgbmboo

n3wb
Reaction score
My thoughts:
Thank you for the response. I agree on the 16 CH, the increase in cost is relatively small given the whole project so I will most likely go that route.

As far as the IPC-Color, I had some concerns on that as well but all the information I read talked about how awesome they are so really wanted to try one. :) I'll do some more research and see if there are others that my be more fitting for my application.

Thanks!