Hello and HELP from Las Vegas

Philth

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a new home owner that is in need of installing a decent IP camera system. It's a single story and all of the pre-wire locations are ran to the corners of the house, wall mount style. I'm thinking of some decent turret style cameras, but am definitely open to other suggestions. The pre-wire is ran with Cat 5 cable, I just need to terminate the ends.

Is 3MP overboard? Also am concerned with the angle of view. Most turrets/domes I see are somewhere around 72*. Is this an area of concern?

Lastly, I'm looking for recommendations on where to purchase the cameras and NVR?

Thanks!!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
3MP is NOT overboard. It's actually kind of the sweet spot these days for price/performance.

As for the field of view, that would depend on the locations and what you are monitoring,
but most cams have options for lenses, ranging from 2.8mm (wide ~90 degrees or more) to 12mm (~20 degrees with longer focal point, ie zoom).
4mm may be most common and is a decent compromise between field of view, picture detail, and lens distortion (more close view typically
has more fish-eye type distortion)... You might also start with one PTZ cam (pan-tilt-zoom) and use to figure out what field of view and zoom range
will work best from each location before buying fixed lens cams to do the job...

If you've got a rectangular house with exterior corners already wired with cat5, you are in good shape.
You might even consider splitting those lines to place 2 cams at each corner,
with their fields of view overlapping across each face of the house, for complete coverage (8 cams total).
I've used splitters like this and they work fine for 100bt: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121852083486

Get yourself an 8+ port PoE switch (like netgear fs116p, for example) and install BlueIris software to record and act as console
(or go the NVR route) and you're in business...

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Philth

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Not sure if splitting will do because of how some of the cameras are wired to shared corners. If have to run new cable to the bare corners.

On another note, I think I'm going to go with the Hikvision 2342WD-I for the corners and 2542FWD-IS for my porch area.

One other thing I'm trying to figure out, is my builder left the camera areas like in this picture. From what I understand, the cameras are not big enough to cover this plate. How can I go about having a "clean" install?

Here's a picture of it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zxw2n66mbstwyk/File Feb 01, 3 51 12 PM.jpeg?dl=0

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
not sure i understand your comment about 'shared corenrs'.
if you mean you've already got 2 runs to a corner, then you're all set there...

my point about splitting the ethernet was to allow you to put another cam just around the corner
from that plate you pictured with both cams sharing the single run back to your wiring closet.

a "turret" style camera like the 2342 should cover that plate nicely,
or whatever opening is behind it should you remove the plate.

but there are also some adapter plates available if you wanted to use bullets, like this one:
https://www.surveillance-video.com/accessory-cbm.html/ (just and example, i dunno these guys...)

Philth

n3wb
Reaction score
I've attached some pictures of the prewire locations with the wall plates off. Given these measurements, do you know if these cameras will cover the opening? I'm concerned about moisture getting in the wall if it doesn't cover it all the way.

Attachments