Hello everyone from Los Angeles!

jrdnlc

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to add 4 more cameras to my house. They will be installed in the front driveway, both side paths of the house and the backyard. I currently own two Ubiquiti G3 cameras and like the simplicity of configuring them and seting up remote access.

I been doing some reading and so far I'm leaning towards Hikvision cameras but can't decide if either bullet or dome. I been looking at the Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I and Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS. Do the domes really have less IR distance viewing and harder to display a better image due to reflection? How well are the iOS apps? One feature I love about the Ubiquiti app is that it allows me download a recording to my phone directly.

In regards to firmware on these cameras and support, is it best to buy from a authorized seller? Are there any sellers in the USA that will sell to non-installers? I'm in California if that helps.

NVR wise, do you guys recommend a Hikvision NVR or Zoneminder running in a VM?

I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me. I have done lots of reading the past 2 days and have been learning a lot as I go.

Thank you all in advance!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to add 4 more cameras to my house. They will be installed in the front driveway, both side paths of the house and the backyard. I currently own two Ubiquiti G3 cameras and like the simplicity of configuring them and seting up remote access.

I been doing some reading and so far I'm leaning towards Hikvision cameras but can't decide if either bullet or dome. I been looking at the Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I and Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS. Do the domes really have less IR distance viewing and harder to display a better image due to reflection? How well are the iOS apps? One feature I love about the Ubiquiti app is that it allows me download a recording to my phone directly.

In regards to firmware on these cameras and support, is it best to buy from a authorized seller? Are there any sellers in the USA that will sell to non-installers? I'm in California if that helps.

NVR wise, do you guys recommend a Hikvision NVR or Zoneminder running in a VM?

I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me. I have done lots of reading the past 2 days and have been learning a lot as I go.

Thank you all in advance!

Welcome jrdnlc

Dome are not very good for outdoors - UV degrades the plastic dome, and car lights and sun can cause glare issues with the dome.

Curious, If you like your experience with Ubiquiti why consider other makes?

Thank You

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This camera, Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
is currently THE recommended camera. It has killer low light performance, which is when bad things happen.
Don't worry about how many mp it is, won't matter in real live performance.

I run Blue Iris on a standalong PC, generally not recommended to run on a VM. You're moving a lot of data, and PC's are cheap enough. Get a current or last generation I7 or I5, depending on how many cameras you have. I5 would handle 6 cameras.

jrdnlc

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome jrdnlc

Dome are not very good for outdoors - UV degrades the plastic dome, and car lights and sun can cause glare issues with the dome.

Curious, If you like your experience with Ubiquiti why consider other makes?

Thank You
I like the flexibility of being able to use other software and not being stuck to the UniFi NVR OS. For ex. support for ONVIF and RTSP. The cost also seems to be cheaper on Hikivision cameras and more features.

This camera, Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
is currently THE recommended camera. It has killer low light performance, which is when bad things happen.
Don't worry about how many mp it is, won't matter in real live performance.

I run Blue Iris on a standalong PC, generally not recommended to run on a VM. You're moving a lot of data, and PC's are cheap enough. Get a current or last generation I7 or I5, depending on how many cameras you have. I5 would handle 6 cameras.
That camera sure does look great but I'm leaning towards Hikvision. Do you have experience using both brands? Anything I should keep in mind as far as performance, price, availability, features etc etc

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've never tried a hikvision. I'm sure we have plenty of people who have, you'd probably get a better response if you ask that question on the Starlight turret thread.

Its the nighttime performance of the starlight that makes it such a good camera. As far as I know, Hik doesn't make anything with comparable nighttime, low light performance.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. I'm leaning towards Hikvision. Do you have experience using both brands? Anything I should keep in mind as far as performance, price, availability, features etc etc
Do take a look at the Hikvision thread section.
I've also picked up the Dahua starlight based on reviews here as well as the experience of others - so I stopped researching the Hikvision options.

jrdnlc

n3wb
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how I can know when the cameras are chinesse versions converted to US? Is there anything negative about buying the ones that are?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how I can know when the cameras are chinesse versions converted to US? Is there anything negative about buying the ones that are?
You can look at the model and serial number label / sticker on the camera - and see if it is in Chinese or English

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score