Hello everyone, I most probably need your help ;-)

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I buy all of my switches at this link - these are retired HP ProCurve switches that have worked wonderfully for me for years. I currently have 4 of these in operation and have not had one fail. They do a great job and are affordable. They do have 2 fans so have a slight noise, so not sure if that is a consideration for you.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, I should have mentioned that I plan to wire like 4-5 cams to one switch in the house and probably 2-3 to another in an annex. I probably will be OK with unmanaged Netgear. Can I use their POE ports for every purpose or do I fry some equipment that way? I will have to connect the switches to powerline adapters in order to reach the router and my PC. And to the NCR of course.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I should have mentioned that I plan to wire like 4-5 cams to one switch in the house and probably 2-3 to another in an annex. I probably will be OK with unmanaged Netgear. Can I use their POE ports for every purpose or do I fry some equipment that way? I will have to connect the switches to powerline adapters in order to reach the router and my PC. And to the NCR of course.
They self negotiate and will not send power to a non-POE device.

Now keep in mind you will have to connect these switches to the WAN/LAN port of the NVR. You cannot have more than one camera going to the POE port of the NVR (if you bought a POE version of the NVR).

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now keep in mind you will have to connect these switches to the WAN/LAN port of the NVR.
Yes, I do. The main POE switch (8ports or more) will be hooked up to the NVR, a powerline adapter and to cameras. If we get cables into the annex directly, it will be hooked to all cameras. If we connect the annex through powerline, then the annex-switch will be hooked up to cams and the Powerline adapter. And if we connect the annex with just one cable, it will connect through that. We have to see how or if we get through. But I let professionals do the cables.

I buy all of my switches at this link - these are retired HP ProCurve switches that have worked wonderfully for me for years. I currently have 4 of these in operation and have not had one fail. They do a great job and are affordable. They do have 2 fans so have a slight noise, so not sure if that is a consideration for you.

I thought about this option. However, these thrown out switches are usually 100 Mbit. Would that not be a bottleneck if the recorder is to work with 160 Mbit?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I do. The main POE switch (8ports or more) will be hooked up to the NVR, a powerline adapter and to cameras. If we get cables into the annex directly, it will be hooked to all cameras. If we connect the annex through powerline, then the annex-switch will be hooked up to cams and the Powerline adapter. And if we connect the annex with just one cable, it will connect through that. We have to see how or if we get through. But I let professionals do the cables.

I thought about this option. However, these thrown out switches are usually 100 Mbit. Would that not be a bottleneck if the recorder is to work with 160 Mbit?
The unit actually has 2 x 1gb ports on the right side, you can even see them in the picture. I would use that to connect to the NVR

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, I have a Dahua NVR4208-4kS2/L now. If I hook up the T5442T, the recorder names it's brand as "private". There are some other brand options and onvif. Should I leave it as "private"? So what do I set? Do I have to flash the cam to Dahua firmware for full functionality with Dahua recorder?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I have a Dahua NVR4208-4kS2/L now. If I hook up the T5442T, the recorder names it's brand as "private". There are some other brand options and onvif. Should I leave it as "private"? So what do I set? Do I have to flash the cam to Dahua firmware for full functionality with Dahua recorder?
That is fine just as it is. No need to flash firmware or anything. You will have full functionality.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am still trying to figure out how to do the network aspect of the future system. I will have the NCR and a POE switch in one room.

But in order to gain full functionality (and comfort), I need to access this system from my remaining infrastructure - at least to check if all is working well every once in a while. (I noted there is a real accoustic alarm from the NVR too, so one could hear if something goes wrong.) As of now, I would simply connect that room to my router through our powerline network. That should allow me to access everything. If I want to physically disconnect it, I could just switch off it's powerline adapter.

Would I gain a lot if I would be using a managed switch? Or does this require heavy network knowledge? Or would any such action forfeit the option to get push alarms or view the cams remotely?

I currently do not have this knowledge but kind of need it to evaluate if I need it.

My list of things I need to learn/do/try grows daily...

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just red through the short note on "how to secure your network". At the moment, I have not hooked up anything to the Router nor do I let this equipment contact home for mobile apps or such.

I am not really keen on constantly watching stuff through the www while away. I read several times that messages (Push? mail?) can be done without exposing the camnet to the www. It also looks as if in my router I can block every individual device from acessing the net. Is there a thread on how to get the most use with the least exposure. The router doesn not support a VPN, so I would have to think smaller.

If I block all NVR/Cams from internet access, but allow them in my home net, could I still use the SPSS software at home from any PC? Or is this already a major risk?