Hello from a new user in Aus

Fred2016

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm brand new to this whole thing but after having a few trespassers and I few questionable neighbours as well we have (sadly) decided to install some CCTV.
Hence the internet has landed me here and I have started piecing my system together based from what I have learned here.
I get the feeling most people here have an IT background ( i definitely don't) which has me questioning my ability to succeed but I'm going to give it a go anyway.
I have only purchased one camera (IPC-T5442T-ZE) to start with but hope to get a minimum of 5 once i know what im doing.
I have read so much on this site and it really is very informative.
I have ordered a second hand dell optiplex and will get a large hdd and a second network adapter for it when it arrives.
I'm just struggling to find info on what i need for a switch, I was thinking an 8 channel but the cheaper ones seem to only have around 60w, will this be enough power if
i end up with 6 or 7 cameras or do i need a higher power one? if someone can recommend one to me that would be great.
I have tried to learn about managed vs unmanaged but rightly or wrongly, have settled on the fact that if i get an unmanaged one its less for me to have to worry about for now.
Also am i correct in thinking that once i have blue iris setup on the system, i wont need a monitor with it and it can be hidden away and i can just login remotely to access it?
Im not too worried about all this AI stuff i just want to get a notification if a person or motion is detected and be able to check what it was on my phone.

Thanks in advance

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Fred, welcome. Sorry you're obliged to do the cameras, but you've done well to start with research and not just throwing money at a box-o-cameras from the local warehouse store.

Don't be put off by the networking. You'll pick it up as you go, as most of us have. Just keep repeating 192.168.x.x...

Good switches can be had pretty cheap. You don't need the latest and fastest. I have a used hp Officeconnect poe+ 8 port. I think the switch has gigabit speed to the router, and each device gets 100mbps, which is fine, even for 4k cameras. None of my cameras comes close to drawing 30 watts. Maybe a PTZ would. I think mine are at most 5 watts each? The extra power is important if you have long cable runs, or if you want to run lights or more cameras from a single port.

I have an old 4:3 monitor for the BI computer, which I turn off when not adjusting BI. I mostly interact with it over the web interface, UI3, either on my phone or on several monitors around the house. These are just old computers that run UI3 over wireless so I can keep an eye on things wherever I'm perched.

So take your time and read a lot.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome.

Just get an unmanaged switch and put a 2nd ethernet card in your computer (called a dual NIC system) and hook the cameras to that and internet to the other.

The 5442 has AI built in and is more than adequate for most people. It is a simply check box for human.

Yes you do not need a monitor or keyboard or any of that stuff as you can remote into it.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
:welcome:

You are off to a great start. It is OK to start slow, and I recommend to start slow and build you system as you learn and define your needs. I would say most here do not have an IT background, I do not. In my opinion the biggest issue people here run into is lack of networking skills which can be learned from reading, asking questions, and trial and error. I came here with very few networking skills and have learned a lot.

60 watts should be sufficient for your poe switch, most cams do not draw a lot of power, the one you listed shows 7.5W. I looked at Amazon AU and the pickings are slim compared to the USA. Trendnet, Linksys, Edimax, are sold on Amazon AU and should all work fine. You can also buy a poe injector which only powers one cam but that will get you up and running while you figure out which switch you want.

ETA - I am not familiar with Moker but this seems to get good reviews and appears to check the boxes for a good switch.

Moker.PNG

Last edited: