Hello from Central Florida

ptsmith24

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, I’ve read plenty here and figured it’s time to post. I have IPC-T2231T-ZS cameras on the way as well as an Optiplex from the Dell Outlet (I watched the store for several days and got a decent price on a system that should meet my needs). All that’s left to buy is a Blue Iris license and a data drive. Thanks for the resource and I’m sure I’ll be diving deeper into the wiki and cliff notes as I set things up. I’m fairly technically inclined, but there’s always something to learn. Thanks again and see you all on the forums!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

That is a good camera. I just purchased one but have yet to install it. I did some tests against the older HDW5321R-ZE and it looked like it is a little better in color at night.

All snapshots from Blue Iris and I am moving, and so was Penny.

These are at dusk.
C2 5231.jpgC2 T2231T.jpg

These are after dark.
D2 5231.jpgD2 T2231T.jpg

Reaction score
Welcome and good luck with your journey into the surveillance world. Read and read again. This is a good camera, i ave two of them in my build. good luck

ptsmith24

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all for the welcome! I was looking at the IPC-T5442TM-AS, but after playing with the calculator on IPVM, the PPF was essentially the same when comparing the closest fix lens on the 5442 to the exact FOV I need for my use case. To determine FOV, I measured from the camera position out to the left point I want to see, then along the width to the right point I want to see, then back to the camera position. A little geometry later I had angles, minimum, and maximum distances to my areas of interest. I’m sure this is an addiction and I will change and add over time. In fact, I already have plans to pull another cable or two, depending on attic access to that particular area. If not, I am exploring other options such as PoE splitters.

I should have access to the areas where cables exist so that I can attach a piece of wood above the soffit so it is a solid mount and not as unsightly as using aluminum strips on the exterior of the soffit.

Overall, this is a fun project and I look forward to seeing where it goes!