Hello from East TN

onoitslolo

n3wb
Reaction score
Like every other rookie on here, I am trying to soak up the wisdom from all members. Rather than learn stuff the hard way, I will take full advantage of previous trial and errors. Almost complete with building my home, with pre-installed wire to the specs in the cliff notes (thanks!). Looking to install 4-6 cameras on the main house and another 4-6 in the horse barn. Horse barn will be run back to the "main hub" via underground wire. All wires are run from crawlspace of home into 2 dedicated "network" closets. This also prevents the clowns at the cable company from drilling through my water main (unfortunate true story).

Where I am really going to lean on the wisdom from this group is the unique situation I have. We built on 30 acres, with a 4000 ft driveway that is shared with my in-laws future home, my home and the barn. So I have to decide where to start my video feed (LPR) and where to start detecting people at the house. I am in the security business, but I stick mainly to Intrusion Detection using hard wired systems, not many cameras in my world.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Welcome to ipct.

Do you have power in the barn? If so, you may want to consider a point to point link like Nanostations or even running fiber optic out there versus copper cat cable to eliminate the possibility of nearby lightning/ground voltage getting into your network and damaging electronics.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to ipct.

Do you have power in the barn? If so, you may want to consider a point to point link like Nanostations or even running fiber optic out there versus copper cat cable to eliminate the possibility of nearby lightning/ground voltage getting into your network and damaging electronics.
Unreal!
If wife hadn't call me to approve an update to her laptop I might have beat you to it! :lol:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Let us know what you do with the driveway camera. I'm interested. I have a not nearly as long driveway myself that I'm still contemplating how to get a couple cameras down at the end. No power.

onoitslolo

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:

If power is available at the horse barn and/or at the end of that long driveway, I encourage the use of a Ubiquiti radio wireless link or fiber, since your lightning in TN is on par with that here in AL.
What part of AL? I grew up near Birmingham!

onoitslolo

n3wb
Reaction score
Small world!
NW, near Lake Lewis Smith, Winston County, in the middle of the Bankhead National Forest somewhat.
Short version: in the boonies!
I know about the "boonies." I actually grew up in a little town called Springville, in St. Clair County.