Hello from Houston

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey folks. I am back. My wife thinks I have lost my mind with all the reading I did yesterday and last night.

I took the leap and purchased the computer and switch that Flintstone61 suggested.

I have not bought the cameras as of yet, but after the readings from many of you it sounds like a couple IPC-B521R-Z12E-S2 will be a decent starting point for me.

I live on a corner lot with a busy intersection and would like to learn the cameras enough to pick up some LIC. plates and faces.

Big shout outs to wittaj, Flintstone61 and so many others for the advice/tutelage with regards to this adventure I am finding myself on.

The 2MP low light comparisons with more expensive gear still blows me away a bit .

I do want to make sure I purchase the Cams from the right place to make sure the site gets the affiliate commission.

I will also continue reading to figure out the other parts and pieces I need to complete this little newb starting kit I am putting together.
New to LPR? Considerations Before You Begin | IP Cam Talk

Reaction score
I would caution you about buying the IPC-B521R-Z12E-S2 right off the bat. That cam is a great cam for LPR and if you need a lot of zoom for a choke point. Jumping into LPR without any cam experience can be difficult.

SIMPLY LPR.JPG

Most here would recommend to just buy a good varifocal cam, like the IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 that @Flintstone61 listed. Before you run any cables, before you mount any cams, use that one cam on a test rig and place it in positions that you think you want a cam. Observe the FOV both day and night. Walk it during those tests to get a feel of how a person will look and could you ID them. Use that cam to develop a plan. Buy cams and install them piecemeal. Jumping in and buying a bunch and just throwing them up is a good recipe for failure. Here is my test rig.

Test Rig.JPG

That switch that @Flintstone61 listed is a good switch. I have its 8-channel little brother as one of my POE switches.

I am in Spring, just South of The Woodlands.

Reaction score
Hey neighbor. Thank you for this advice. I love testing out stuff and not wasting money so that sounds like a really good plan.

Cindy and I live in Kingwood and travel through Spring all the time.

Looney sent me your write up. After digesting a bit of it I had already come to that conclusion even before I read your reply.

As part of my reading, I did see the sage advice about starting with one CAM from a few different contributors to the forum.

"Buy one camera and start learning" was a theme that I saw quite a bit.

Plus I like your testing stand and will have to copycat it. :)

Now if I could just purchase the Blue Iris software, I would be getting closer to getting my baby system together. It says it is currently out of stock.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey neighbor. Thank you for this advice. I love testing out stuff and not wasting money so that sounds like a really good plan.

Cindy and I live in Kingwood and travel through Spring all the time.

Looney sent me your write up. After digesting a bit of it I had already come to that conclusion even before I read your reply.

As part of my reading, I did see the sage advice about starting with one CAM from a few different contributors to the forum.

"Buy one camera and start learning" was a theme that I saw quite a bit.

Plus I like your testing stand and will have to copycat it. :)

Now if I could just purchase the Blue Iris software, I would be getting closer to getting my baby system together. It says it is currently out of stock.
Blue Iris is a download. And you can play with the demo for 14 days.

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome. I am in Houston also and installed my cameras about two years ago. I was a complete newb and the guys here are super helpful amd smart, esp Mr wittaj, he helped me tremendously, plus he knows his stuff.

I have "alarm out" on my IVS set to trigger on motion after a certain time of night. If that gets triggered, it fires sirens outside the house and in my bedroom. If I can do it, anyone can do it.