Hello from Michigan!

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Like a lot of folks, I was researching a Lorex camera bundle at Costco and learned that I can get much better quality cameras for the money by doing some research. That journey has led me here. I have read the Wiki a few times now but I have a few specific questions.

"
Last, a dedicated PC running Video Management Software (VMS) like Blue Iris and a separate PoE switch offers the maximum flexibility. A number of power users really like the flexibility and features.
- I would really be interested in having Blue Iris set up for my camera system. I am just confused on how the setup works. Would I need an NVR in addition to the computer/PoE Switch/BI setup? I believe I'd buy a compatible computer, install BI, connect a PoE switch and I'd have everything I need. Just want to confirm. Also would I need a PoE switch or a PoE+ switch?

I am planning on purchasing this Dahua Varifocus Camera and setting up a test rig around the house to determine my needs. Do I need to also purchasing the housing for this camera if I'll be installing my cameras under the soffit of my house?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Like a lot of folks, I was researching a Lorex camera bundle at Costco and learned that I can get much better quality cameras for the money by doing some research. That journey has led me here. I have read the Wiki a few times now but I have a few specific questions.

" - I would really be interested in having Blue Iris set up for my camera system. I am just confused on how the setup works. Would I need an NVR in addition to the computer/PoE Switch/BI setup? I believe I'd buy a compatible computer, install BI, connect a PoE switch and I'd have everything I need. Just want to confirm. Also would I need a PoE switch or a PoE+ switch?

I am planning on purchasing this Dahua Varifocus Camera and setting up a test rig around the house to determine my needs. Do I need to also purchasing the housing for this camera if I'll be installing my cameras under the soffit of my house?
Welcome @slickpoodle

I like junction boxes .. but, if you can push the cable pigtail from the camera up into the soffit, you really do not need it for that.

Do double check that your soffit location is good .. often they are a bit too high .. depends on the image capture angle .. seeing that you are getting a varifocal, if you are looking to capture images further away from the mount location, a 1 story up soffit could be fine .. remember to double check.

Amazon prime day is coming , so if you are looking for a deal - I would look for a nice PoE switch then ..

PoE+ ... you'd only need if you have cameras which require more power .. like some of the larger PTZ cameras ..

Blue Iris + Windows PC + PoE switch will be a replacement to a NVR with PoE ports

Remember a good length of cat5e/6 to start your testing .. copper wires, awg 23 or 24

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No NVR needed; just power the POE cams with a POE switch and connect your BI server to a port ("uplink" if available) on the POE switch.

The POE's capacity would be determined by the total power budget required of all the cam's combined using their spec's highest wattage (usually with the IR on at dusk).

Best to get a switch with more ports (and higher power budget) than you need initially because it has been said "cameras multiply like rabbits".
IOW, you think you need 3 cams, plan for 6 so buy an 8 port switch; you can add another 4 or 8 port to that in the future and that will have the added benefit of splitting up the cams so if you have 1 switch fail you don't lose ALL of your cams.

I like to use junction boxes (made for that specific make/model of cam) even under an eave or soffit so I can drill a smaller 3/8" hole for the un-terminated CAT-5e or 6 as opposed to having to drill a twice-as-large 3/4" (or bigger) hole to get the cam's pigtail to fit into; the pigtail would then fit inside the box and be protected from direct rain and UV.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome. Nothing to disagree with in the above comments, and you're on the right path. I came from a Lorex system and now have a BI PC and all Dahua cams.

You might take a look at my thread below while you scope out camera locations.

Reaction score
Welcome. Nothing to disagree with in the above comments, and you're on the right path. I came from a Lorex system and now have a BI PC and all Dahua cams.

You might take a look at my thread below while you scope out camera locations.

Thank you for the warm welcome! Your post was very informative and useful for a newbie like myself:cool:

Reaction score
No NVR needed; just power the POE cams with a POE switch and connect your BI server to a port ("uplink" if available) on the POE switch.

The POE's capacity would be determined by the total power budget required of all the cam's combined using their spec's highest wattage (usually with the IR on at dusk).

Best to get a switch with more ports (and higher power budget) than you need initially because it has been said "cameras multiply like rabbits".
IOW, you think you need 3 cams, plan for 6 so buy an 8 port switch; you can add another 4 or 8 port to that in the future and that will have the added benefit of splitting up the cams so if you have 1 switch fail you don't lose ALL of your cams.

I like to use junction boxes (made for that specific make/model of cam) even under an eave or soffit so I can drill a smaller 3/8" hole for the un-terminated CAT-5e or 6 as opposed to having to drill a twice-as-large 3/4" (or bigger) hole to get the cam's pigtail to fit into; the pigtail would then fit inside the box and be protected from direct rain and UV.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :wave:
Thank you very much! I am going to scope out eBay for a computer and order everything else to get a nice test rig set up.

Reaction score
Welcome @slickpoodle

I like junction boxes .. but, if you can push the cable pigtail from the camera up into the soffit, you really do not need it for that.

Do double check that your soffit location is good .. often they are a bit too high .. depends on the image capture angle .. seeing that you are getting a varifocal, if you are looking to capture images further away from the mount location, a 1 story up soffit could be fine .. remember to double check.

Amazon prime day is coming , so if you are looking for a deal - I would look for a nice PoE switch then ..

PoE+ ... you'd only need if you have cameras which require more power .. like some of the larger PTZ cameras ..

Blue Iris + Windows PC + PoE switch will be a replacement to a NVR with PoE ports

Remember a good length of cat5e/6 to start your testing .. copper wires, awg 23 or 24
Thank you for your help! Do you know if it matters which cable I get (cat5e vs cat6)?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for your help! Do you know if it matters which cable I get (cat5e vs cat6)?
I've used both .. cat5e vs cat6 .. the cat6 I have has a spline in it .. thus thicker .. less likely to kink on pulls .. however harder to crimp ( have to cut the spline ) .. and harder to pull more cables in conduit ..

remember to keep the cable runs away from being adjacent to electrical lines / motors ..

otherwise if you run the lines carefully either cat5e or cat6 with copper wires of awg 23 or 24 works well .. ( 2 person job typically )

I used 3/4" PVC conduit in the attic to help make running the lines easier to the corners of the house ..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Either is good, 6 somewhat future-proofs; the most important aspect of CAT cable here is solid (not stranded) copper (not CCA/Copper Clad Aluminum) with the right jacket: CMR (Riser) for in walls, between floors, in crawl spaces and attics.