Hello from peoples republic of Kalifornia

Reaction score
I was on my way to Sams club to buy this kit:
Lorex 8-Channel 4 Mega Pixel DVR Surveillance System with 2TB Hard Drive and H.264 Video Compression, 8x Weather Resistant 4 MP Bullet Cameras with 89° Viewing Angle and 130' Color Enhanced Night Vision - Sam's Club:
One day sale,$400.00
I can return it if its not a good choice.

I found your site, and decided to ask for opinions.
I am very busy as a volunteer firefighter, and contractor. That is where my free time goes. I will set a day aside to install the system.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to buy some bulk cat5e cable and fittings to cut the right length. And be able to upgrade in the future.

My house is About 120'x45' on a half acre. I would like to have 6 to 8 cameras and see my back gate,100' back from the house.

If that kit is not a good choice,what would you recommend?

Thank you in advance,Ron

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was on my way to Sams club to buy this kit:
Lorex 8-Channel 4 Mega Pixel DVR Surveillance System with 2TB Hard Drive and H.264 Video Compression, 8x Weather Resistant 4 MP Bullet Cameras with 89° Viewing Angle and 130' Color Enhanced Night Vision - Sam's Club:
One day sale,$400.00
I can return it if its not a good choice.

I found your site, and decided to ask for opinions.
I am very busy as a volunteer firefighter, and contractor. That is where my free time goes. I will set a day aside to install the system.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to buy some bulk cat5e cable and fittings to cut the right length. And be able to upgrade in the future.

My house is About 120'x45' on a half acre. I would like to have 6 to 8 cameras and see my back gate,100' back from the house.

If that kit is not a good choice,what would you recommend?

Thank you in advance,Ron
Welcome Ron,

Remember to check the notes:
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Definitely give that kit a good solid bench test - test both day and night time views, and please do feel free to share a few image snap shots / video clips with us.
Also do share some snap shots of the interface.

Remember the kit you are picking up is an analog coax / bnc connector kit, and I definitely recommend installing good quality cat5e/cat6 cable and using baluns so that you'll have more upgrade options in the future.

Reaction score
Ok, thanks Mat.
Im just dipping my toes into this,so everything is new and unfamiliar.
I dont even know how to bench test,or save a snap shot.
I can return that system if it isn't a good choice. I just wanted to get it today because of the "one day sale".
I will look for a good buy on bulk cat5e or cat6 and some fittings as well.
I will take a look at the link you provided.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bench test= hook it all up on a convenient table top, then run it for a couple of days to see how it performs. And is ok.
I suggest, also using a 8' 2x4, 5gal buck with rocks or sand, and one or two of the cams and put them out doors for 24hrs and see how they perform.

Reaction score
Thank you,I decided not to purchase that kit. I think I will piece together a system as funds allow. I get a little overwhelmed looking at all the info here. I guess it just takes time.
Im thinking the first step is to figure out where the cameras will go,and buy some cat 5e or 6 cable,fittings and a crimping tool.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What worked for me was to buy one camera first, I bought a variable length (zoom) cam so I could see how it looks with different focal lengths. I bought bulk cat 6, plenum rated, from monoprice, along with the jacks and a tool to connect the jack.
I also bought a POE switch to be able to power the camera, connected it to my PC and I was up and running (after some figuring out and research here).
Mount the cam on a 2x4, stick in a bucket of sand, and put it where you think a good location is, and see how it looks. Taught me a lot just doing this. The acid test is to walk by the camera at night, like a bad guy, wearing a white shirt, and see what it looks like.

In hindsight, I wish I had more dahua starlights, I just have one at my front door, used cheaper cams for other areas and now kind of regret it.

This took me a lot more than one day, rush and you may get something that works, but probably not optimal.