Hello from Southern California

Phil_P

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all! I found this site a month ago when I started to look at upgrading my ahd DVR and cameras as we are building a pool and wanted more camera coverage. I am an IT field engineer for the last 25 years and have been infatuated with CCTV for the last 15 years. I have worked on and repaired a ton of corporate NVR's like Sensormatic, TYCO and newer Video edge boxes and always just wanted to stay in that room and play with the systems! I was about to just grab a newer basic HD NVR but once I found Blue Iris I knew it was on! I picked up a HP pro desk with an i5-4590 and 16gb with a 128gb SSD and 1gb drive and added a 4gb WD purple drive. I have a couple of 4mp x 4x ptz from Andy arriving tomorrow and have a couple of Hitosino 6mp cameras I have currently up and running to start screwing around with this. I scored a Netgear M4100 50 port POE+ switch on Ebay for all my POE needs for $112.00. I look forward to getting some more knowledge on this system and getting my camera situations setup perfectly!

Last edited:

Phil_P

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! First experience is if you do get a switch like the Netgear m4100 or a cisco POE+ switch and plan to have it in an office or smaller area room the sound will feel like you are living at the airport. I picked up 2 quiet fans on Ebay for this switch and it is night and day on the sound. They were spendy at $75 but still puts me in under $200 for a switch that is future compatible and I could add so many cameras that the authorities would probably come! The quiet fans completely kills the noise changing my panic of having to place it in a closet. If I was pushing 25+ POE cameras I may worry about the heat on the unit from the slower fan speeds for this but being able to get a switch that is corporate grade for the price of cheapie POE switch is a no brainer!