Hello from the land of the midnight sun

Connected

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have been browsing the forums and the Wiki for a while, so I decided to register and say hello!

In the condominium I'm living we have had a few theft incidents which apparently have been recorded on our four years old surveillance system. The case is easy then, right? Ohh no.. the software was really outdated, finding the incident on the timeline and exporting it took hours. After some Googling I found this forum and Blue Iris; a couple of evenings later we are running BI and life got a lot easier, thanks!

Then I started comparing the images we are getting and the ones posted on the forum when I did a shocking discovery: the cameras are all old Bosh IP-cams with 0.3 megapixels. Identifying a person is really difficult, even the number plates on the cars driving slowly in the garage. After discussing this with the board I got the task to improve the issue, and this is where I'm standing today. Trying to decide which cameras to add to new areas, and which are fit to replace some of the old ones.

After seeing all the posts about the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE I'm ready to buy a couple to replace some of the old ones, or add them at the same location, but from a new angle. This part seems all right as they are all located in a parking garage.

The difficult part now is to decide which camera to use in this case or similar cases:

Doors2.jpg Doors1.jpg

There are two doors and the mailboxes are located close by. As there are two entrances I was thinking of placing a IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M Dual Starlight Cam on the ceiling, which has an height of approximately 2,5 meters. But I'm really unsure if this would be a good solution, but at the same time I haven't found any better ones involving a single camera. The location is also good because of the weather here in Norway, which consist of a lot of rain, snow and wind... The next location does sadly not provide this type of protection.

One door and two entrances:
Door3.jpg Door4.jpg

I was thinking of using a Dual Starlight mounted on the wall in the center of the first picture. But I'm unsure if I can angle the lenses to cover both entrances.
Will I have to use two IPC-HDW5231R-ZEs to get the desired coverage?

And I almost forgot, we are currently running 13 cameras, but have the infrastructure to power a total of 24 without any major upgrades. This upgrade involves 7 or 8 new cameras depending on the last location.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Calling @bp2008 : I defer to your expertise. :p

Shouldn't the OP also be planning for a new Blue Iris server PC with hardware optimized for Blue Iris? I ask because of the potential horsepower needs increasing for video processing as the cams are upgraded from old to new to future:

1) Currently: 13 Bosch cams X .3 MP
2) Update now: 13 cams X 2 MP (Starlight)
3) Future: 21 cams X 2 MP

Connected

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up!

Luckily the server was already Intel based, not in the high end, but I guess it's capable of running the setup with Quick Sync.

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 - C8N27AV - Win 10
i3-4330 @3.5 Ghz (can be replaced if needed)
8 GB ram (upgraded from 4 GB)
256 GB SSD for OS and temp files (added as a new drive)
2 x 1 TB drives for recordings and I also have 2 x 2 TB drives standby.
The recordings will be deleted after seven days, so storage won't really be an issue here.

Currently at 16 % / 1.05 GB ram usage by BI while accessing through the iOS app.
This includes running a 8 MP Hikvision DS-2CD2785FWD-IZS at 15 FPS - bought as a test before finding this forum and BI :oops:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That machine should be able to run the cameras as long as you configure everything optimally, no crazy high frame rates. The two-in-one starlight model should be fine for covering two directions, but two separate cameras is likely better if you don't mind installing two.

Connected

n3wb
Reaction score
Glad to hear that!
I'm really curious if the CPU will handle all the MPs as dual starlights means doubling the load. The good news is that it can be easily replaced with a i7-4770 :)

Doors1.jpg

If using the PC-HDBW4231F-E2-M, what would be the best placement?
I see two good candidates:

Location A:
+ Located at a good angle for the door bells
+ Shielded from the weather
+ Easy to mount

- Not in the center of the corridor
- Worse angle for the mailboxes

Location B:
+ Center of the corridor

- Worse angle for the door bells
- Close to a lamp?

Either way; would it be a good idea to use the Wall Mount Bracket PFA137? Even on the ceiling? The angle would improve some centimeters, and the connection would be safely placed.

I have also come up with an alternative for the other entrance:
Door3.jpg Door4.jpg

Location C:
+ Good angles

- Weather exposed!
-

Location D:
OK angles

- None?

Another big question that has come up is the lens; 2.8 mm vs 3.6 mm which the camera is available with.
After browsing the forum I read that the 2.8 mm is generally not advised, but in this case I'm leaning towards it because of the camera placement. What do you guys think?

A lot of questions from a new guy, but I promise to post some pictures after the setup is complete :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to hear that!
I'm really curious if the CPU will handle all the MPs as dual starlights means doubling the load. The good news is that it can be easily replaced with a i7-4770
That was my initial concern as well.

Another big question that has come up is the lens; 2.8 mm vs 3.6 mm which the camera is available with.
After browsing the forum I read that the 2.8 mm is generally not advised, but in this case I'm leaning towards it because of the camera placement.
At least with the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, because it's varifocal from 2.7mm to 13.5mm, that won't be an issue. Also, because it's a turret style it is more likely to avoid some issues that tend to happen more with bullets and domes.