Hello! New guy, need help with some decisions

arunks

n3wb
Reaction score
hi all,

This forum is so informative, thanks for keeping it going. Still getting used to all the abbreviations here.

I am looking for a basic home networked camera system for my house, nothing over cloud, or paid services etc etc. Only I should have access to it!

I recently found a bunch of deals from Costco and contemplating on a couple of options. Wondering if you guys can help me out here.

I did check out the tools part of the site and used the tool to place the cameras and looks like I need at least 6-7. In future I would like to add a door bell as well. Would be great if you guys can help me narrow it down based on the 2 systems or if there’s something better.

Thanks!!

Option 1 -
4K IP Smart NVR System with 8 Active Deterrence Security Cameras

Option 2-
https://www.swann.com/us/codv16-55808b2d

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hi all,

This forum is so informative, thanks for keeping it going. Still getting used to all the abbreviations here.

I am looking for a basic home networked camera system for my house, nothing over cloud, or paid services etc etc. Only I should have access to it!

I recently found a bunch of deals from Costco and contemplating on a couple of options. Wondering if you guys can help me out here.

I did check out the tools part of the site and used the tool to place the cameras and looks like I need at least 6-7. In future I would like to add a door bell as well. Would be great if you guys can help me narrow it down based on the 2 systems or if there’s something better.

Thanks!!

Option 1 -
4K IP Smart NVR System with 8 Active Deterrence Security Cameras

Option 2-
https://www.swann.com/us/codv16-55808b2d
Welcome @arunks

Option 1 - Lorex kit
iirc that is a Dahua OEM kit - we should have a thread on it.
If you are buying it from Costco, they have one of the best return policies.

Option 2 - Swann kit
don't recall the exact OEM, there has been a thread or 2 on those cameras.
The OEM of that kit is neither Hikvision nor Dahua ( the 2 larger Chinese Company OEMs which many here know better )

If you go for Option 2 - there will be less members here who know that kit compared to the rebranded by Lorex kit ( Dahua OEM - you'd need to check the Dahua OEM threads typically to get an idea of what you can do.. )

Remember, often you really want to look closer at your needs before jumping into buying a kit.

Superior Security Experts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you going to run all the wires? Hardwired is definitely the way to go. It’s just sometimes worth hiring someone who knows what they’re doing if you haven’t done this type of work before. You should hide the wires and make sure they don’t get pinched. I’ve seen too many diy where the wires are ran through windows or inside the gutters. And H265+ is best for 4K cameras but I recommend getting 4TB hard drive for 8 cameras if you want to record constantly. Good luck sir.