Hello! New member needing help w/ new system install

CBP

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello world!

New to the forum, but have read that this is the place to come for discussions about all things security camera related. I recently upgraded my home media server from a Windows based OS into TrueNAS Scale. Now that I have finished that project, I would like to set up an IP camera system for my home. I noticed that TrueCharts for TrueNAS have docker containers built in for 'Frigate' and 'iSpy Agent' when it comes to IP camera functionality. Does anyone have any experience with these? I have a small/medium size 1 story ranch style home ('L' shaped) with not a lot of property past the house itself. I'm looking to run at least 4x cameras to cover the corners, but might extend this up to around 8x to cover all angles. I was going to purchase an NVR kit, but I've seen/heard many issues surrounding many of the popular brands. Since I already have the TrueNAS server up and running it would be silly not to utilize it. My other question is when it comes to PoE cameras and connectivity. Do all of the cameras route into a single switch that itself connects to the media server? I'm assuming I don't need to run 8x individual lines from my server to each individual camera. If all of them run to a switch, are there recommendations on products for this? I have an unfinished attic which can get quite hot in the summer time, and adding a switch/power source for it could be a fire hazard. Please let me know what things I need to figure out in order to narrow down what I'm actually looking for. Thank you in advance!

CBP

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you considered Blue Iris on a Windows PC like many have done and have been super duper satisfied, instead of a NVR kit, or Frigate, or iSpy?

Lots of previous forums posts & WIKI page on this site to help you along with POE switch setups.
It certainly is a possibility. I could technically run a Windows VM on the NAS server just to run Blue Iris. I was curious on feedback from users with something like Frigate because it's much easier to manage a docker container rather than building an OS to run one app. It also states that it fully integrates with Home Assistant which is another thing I'm thinking of configuring soon. I need to do further research into the differences/options really. Also need to figure out some camera options. I may just try out both and pick whatever I like more.

Reaction score
I am no Linux pro or anything.
I have 20+ IP cameras recording 24/7 (well, maybe 16 are 24/7).
Not sure how any known NAS Server could handle the load with any program.
Is why I have dedicated Windows 10 computer (i5-9000k w/16 gig ram) doing all the load.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anybody ever streamed the NVR out to a NAS as a redundancy? Or to skip using a PC w Blue Iris? Curious as to what that path would look like.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello world!

New to the forum, but have read that this is the place to come for discussions about all things security camera related. I recently upgraded my home media server from a Windows based OS into TrueNAS Scale. Now that I have finished that project, I would like to set up an IP camera system for my home. I noticed that TrueCharts for TrueNAS have docker containers built in for 'Frigate' and 'iSpy Agent' when it comes to IP camera functionality. Does anyone have any experience with these? I have a small/medium size 1 story ranch style home ('L' shaped) with not a lot of property past the house itself. I'm looking to run at least 4x cameras to cover the corners, but might extend this up to around 8x to cover all angles. I was going to purchase an NVR kit, but I've seen/heard many issues surrounding many of the popular brands. Since I already have the TrueNAS server up and running it would be silly not to utilize it. My other question is when it comes to PoE cameras and connectivity. Do all of the cameras route into a single switch that itself connects to the media server? I'm assuming I don't need to run 8x individual lines from my server to each individual camera. If all of them run to a switch, are there recommendations on products for this? I have an unfinished attic which can get quite hot in the summer time, and adding a switch/power source for it could be a fire hazard. Please let me know what things I need to figure out in order to narrow down what I'm actually looking for. Thank you in advance!
Hi @CBP

Most members prefer Blue Iris on a used business class i5/i7 PC .. this is largely due to the compute needed for H264/265 and various "detection" functions.

Many people like to use PoE switches, and you can make a conditioned box for the switch in the attic space if you like to help keep it cool in the summer ..

I would recommend picking up one good 4MP 1/1.8" sensor IP PoE Dahua OEM camera from Andy ( EmpireTecAndy ) and playing around with it .. he's one of the approved vendors ( Amcrest and Nelly's are 2 others I have used and you can find good cameras also from them .. Nelly's has a special right now on a 5MP varifocal model for < $90 iirc .. Amcrest may have a deal around Amazon day .. )

Either way picking up 1-2 cameras and a small poe switch will help you learn more before you jump fully in.

Most of us found out we needed more cameras than we initially expected ..