Hello! New member needing some assistance

Jack Haley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After lots of browsing, it was time to create an account and start making a formal roadmap.

I've been wanting to integrate some exterior cameras into my smarthome/homelab setup for a while. Unfortunately some unruly children with paintball guns are starting to push up the need of such a system.

Ideally, here's my wants:
  • Able to record to NVR
  • good low light ability
  • ability to tie into smart things or ifttt
  • POE
  • PTZ for the one in the backyard (dogs wont stay still no matter how hard you try)
  • At least 20fps
What I'm thinking

I don't really know about what mounts come with or what cameras might be much better for just a little more money, but I'm hoping I can get enlightened by you cool cats. Other than the server, I have nothing so all suggestions are welcome. I might also like to get a camera for the screened in back porch (south side of image) that looks at our backdoor, so suggestions for that would also be nice.

Now for some pictures:

Measurements

Cameras (first round)

Approx view from location 1

Approx view from location 2

Approx view from location 3

Jack Haley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, The 5231 is not a PTZ, it simply has a motorized zoom (Varifocal) so you can set the proper field of view at setup. Zoom is not designed to be used on an ongoing basis.

The PTZ you listed would do fine for your dogs.

Jack Haley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, The 5231 is not a PTZ, it simply has a motorized zoom (Varifocal) so you can set the proper field of view at setup. Zoom is not designed to be used on an ongoing basis.

The PTZ you listed would do fine for your dogs.
That amazing tool you linked is giving me the fits on 100ppf. It looks like i have to go to around 20mm before that's achievable.

Is it the exmor CMOS that makes the camera you linked so good? I found one with a bit more zoom but not sure what might make it less appealing.
Aliexpress.com : Buy 2017 Latest New Arrival 2MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera IPC HFW5231E Z5 , free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Jack Haley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First off, You'll killing it. I'm learning lots of new info and tools. Thanks very much!

Does you spidersense go bananas at this proposal?

cameras 1,2,3: Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 2MP 12x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera SD49212T HN,Free DHL Shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on BEC Technology Co.,Ltd
backporch: Dahua 2MP H265 WDR IR Eyeball 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z,free shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The back porch one might could be a 2.8 fixed, so i can cover the whole porch, but the cost to make sure it works by going varifocal is low enoughh to merit the better one.
For the PTZs, Its $100 more per camera, but I get the zoom that would be needed and the ability to fine tune where it is pointing. Thoughts?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it matters, keep in mind the PTZ's are not small in size by any means. Typically, you don't need a PTZ unless you will be manning it all the time.
The same areas can be covered with cams with the appropriate len's. Thats where the varifocal lens come into play. Something like the Z5 or the Z12 would do the job if you think the 5231 isn't suitable for you. Look at the specs, and it will show you the DORI Distance, which gives you a rough idea of how far away it will id. IPC-HDW5231R-Z | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology
If you are concerned about ID's on faces, 2.8mm is limited outdoors.

Jack Haley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, so I've got enough money for 2 cameras. One for the backyard and one for the porch. Are the 2MP starlights still the best possible camera?

I want one PTZ for the backyard, and one fixed(or varifocal) for seeing the entire back porch.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score