Hello

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all; I've been reading and learning from the forum for quite some time. So much information. I'm looking to go the route of using BI as my NVR. I'm in the process of trying to choose a computer for the BI software. I'm looking at the Dell XPS or Aurora i7-7700k. Based on my readings here the cameras will probably a combination of Hikvision and Dahua. There will be between 5 and 11 cameras used. Five to start with and learn. There will be indoors and out. I need a POE switch and I'm not quite sure what to chose. Any Input on the specs. for a computer or switch would be appreciated. I have more research to do on the cameras as I only want to buy them once. I was thinking cube type cameras for indoors and dome for out. I was looking for cameras with the largest viewing angles. Is this thinking somewhat correct? Stanley

Yojinbo

n3wb
Reaction score
Stanley71,

I am less brave and I'm only starting with one new camera until I decide what I like. I ordered a single Dahua turret. I don't have a Blue Iris (BI) server yet and I'm lurking around my local auction sites looking for that now.

I did order an "open box" Netgear managed PoE switch from AMZ warehouse deals but I am no position to recommend it yet. I went with Netgear since I have several of their older 10/100 hubs going strong after about 10 years.

As for the viewing angle it depends to me. If I want an overview camera wide viewing angle is nice. If I want to ID faces Liscense plates I find that "shot-gunning" pixels over a wide area is less good.

If you view a few hours of people's videos (posted here and elsewhere) and think about how useful those videos might if you were a investigator you will find that a tight angle in a "traffic" zone can be great.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
  1. Thanks Yojinbo I will will keep that in mind when researching. For the POE switch I'm going with an 8 port unmanaged whether I get a NVR or go with BI, which needs one anyway. Personally for BI just go to the website and purchase. For the guts of a system seems pretty cheap.