Hello

Tre01

n3wb
Reaction score
I knew absolutely nothing about security camera systems before coming to this forum, which took me awhile to find. I’m still struggling to find some answers to a few questions. I’m looking to get a setup for a very small jewelry store. I’d like 5 cameras for inside the store and 3 cameras for the outside parking area. Each of the inside cameras would need to reach between 20-30 feet maximum. The outdoor cameras would need to reach around 30-50 feet maximum. Could I simply get 8 5442ZE cameras for inside and outside or should I get a combo of 5442ZE with 5442TM cameras? The price difference isn’t considerable, but if the 5442TMs would be as good or better than the 5442ZE for inside, I’d go with that obviously. I’d love some input on this. I’d planned to get them from Empiretech on Amazon.

I was also thinking about this to run with the 8 cameras:

EmpireTech NVR5208-8P-4KS2E 8 Channel 1U 8PoE 4K&H.265 Pro Network Video Recorder English Version
I think I’d also need a hard drive, enough CAT6 cable to run for all 8 cameras, RJ45 connectors, camera junction boxes/brackets, 4K monitor..anything else? I’ll need a designated outlet with 20 amps as well...correct?
I need to get this system purchased ASAP as we need to have it fully installed within a few weeks. Any help would be very much appreciated....thanks in advance

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have both the TM and ZE. My preference is the TM when you know the focal length needed. The ZE does reach out further but there is a degradation of night vision due to the higher F stop of the varifocal lens. If you have spots where the distance involved of over 30 or 40 feet, the ZE is the only choice. A 15 amp outlet is more than enough, the NVR under full load probably won't use more than 100 watts.

Don't forget an RJ45 crimper and, at least, an inexpensive cable tester to prove out continuity of the cables you'll be terminating.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Insure that your CAT-6 is solid (not stranded) pure copper (not CCA / Coper Clad Aluminum) with a jacket rated for your application (ex: "CMR" for use in-wall, between floors, crawl spaces and attics).

Add a good UPS (battery backup) to keep your POE NVR and cams "alive" during a short power outage.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:

Tre01

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you both!
The lens options on Amazon for the 5442TM are 2.8mm and 6mm. Should I do 6mm for distances between 25-30 feet and 2mm for distances 12-15 feet? The shorter distance would be pretty well lit 24/7 while the longer distance would have a bit of ambient light at night...plenty during the day

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
Buy a bigger NVR than you think you will need, so you can expand. Also the Bigger NVRs may have more processing power. You have 8 MP cameras, what is your expect the frame rate to be. Even with 8 cameras you may over load the NVR

Tre01

n3wb
Reaction score
Insure that your CAT-6 is solid (not stranded) pure copper (not CCA / Coper Clad Aluminum) with a jacket rated for your application (ex: "CMR" for use in-wall, between floors, crawl spaces and attics).

Add a good UPS (battery backup) to keep your POE NVR and cams "alive" during a short power outage.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:
After a few hours of research, it seems a good UPS is extremely hard to find under $800 (higher end Eaton). It’s pretty frustrating that so many companies just put out complete crap. What brand are you using? The big 3 all have horrible reviews (APC, Cyberpower and Tripp Lite). Thanks!

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
+1 on the larger nvr. Go for a 5216 POE. There's not much difference in cost and leaves you plenty of room for expansion. Fit 2 western digital purple HDD for redundancy and split the cameras across both.

The 5442 range are the go to cams.

There's a range of junction boxes too suit these on Andy's store.

As others have said use quality cable and i would also recommend rj45 pass through connectors and crimpers to suit. Cat 5e or 6 will do for the camera runs. Cat 5e will be slightly easier to terminate and will definitely be easier to "squeeze" into the junction boxes. Cat6 crimps are backwards compatible with cat5e cable.

See links / suggestions below. You can contact Andy empiretech directly on here and swap out the UK sources for your own local suppliers :)

UPS wise I'll take a pass. You'll need to decide how often the powers off and for how long. It will likely be a bit of a trade off.

As always others are welcome to debate my choices. There's more than 1 way too skin a cat

Good luck and welcome aboard

NVR

BRACKETS

CABLE

CRIMPERS

CONNECTORS

CHEAP TESTER

WIRING make sure pin is facing away

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What brand are you using?
I have this one ==> APC UPS, 1000VA Sine Wave UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector, BR1000MS Backup Battery with AVR, (2) USB Charger Ports, Back-UPS PRO Uninterruptible Power Supply Black
The big 3 all have horrible reviews (APC, Cyberpower and Tripp Lite).
I wouldn't call a 4.6 out of 5 "horrible".
FWIW, many members swear by Cyberpower; I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me....3 years ago a power surge went through my Cyberpower like it was a straight wire and fried a fairly new 65" Sony 4K 3D Smart TV.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tre01

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve been searching everywhere, but can’t seem to find an answer...maybe because it’s too dumb of a question? What monitor will work with this system (Computer, TV, etc). What is it incompatible with it? Should I get a 4K Monitor to get the best picture or is that not that critical. Any ideas would be great as it’s been the source of a lot of anxiety over the past few days. Thanks in advance

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can use the HDMI output of the NVR to feed video to either a computer monitor or even a TV that has external HDMI inputs. Resolution really isn't all that important but if you can go for a 4Kcapable so much the better.

When it comes to a hard drive make sure it's rated for surveillance use. There is a significant difference between surveillance drives and "normal" drives especially in terms of longevity.

Tre01

n3wb
Reaction score
I went with a 4K computer monitor and have two WD Purple hard drives I’m going to install (following a Youtube I’ve video as I’ve never done anything like this). The cameras look amazing on the monitor, thanks again for the help!

I’m connecting WIFi internet to the building very soon. I suspect that the largest challenges are yet to come.

Any particular router I should look to buy in order to have reliability and security? I’m connecting through COX Cable (Business). Prices are all over the board so I’m guessing I’d need an expensive one for my purposes.

The options for commercial internet are ridiculously expensive. The options they provide are 50mbps, 100mbps and 200mbps. They might go higher but after a quote of $179 for 200mbps, I wasnt interested in going up if not absolutely needed. The main use for the internet will be to monitor 9 cameras remotely (buying one more to add to 8 already installed) through the NVR. We will have one laptop connected as well and maybe a smart phone, that’s it.

That brings me to yet another question. I understand that I can monitor through a smart phone. I have an old IPhone 6 that’s on its last leg. What would be the best phone to upgrade to in order to monitor my cameras....or does it matter that much? I have only ever owned IPhones, but I’d switch if needed.

Thanks again in advance for helping me with all my newbie questions. This has been a challenging couple of months. With any luck, I’ll have it up and running before December (busiest month of the year). I’d have never gotten this far without your help, for which I’m extremely grateful.