HELP !!!! BI configuration....CPU maxing at 100% immediately after BI startup

nyte_ryder

n3wb
Reaction score
I need desperate help with configuring BI 3 (Ver 3.52) to support about 55 Dahua IPC-HDB3200C / HDW3200S cameras ..... CPU gets maxed out immediately after BI 3 is started...

Current Setup :

NVR PC : Windows 8 PC with Intel i7 4770K Quad Core CPU, 12GB of RAM, 2TB

Cameras : 45 Dahua IPC-HDB3200C (2MP) cameras (eventually total of 55 when done)

Camera Settings (Please see CameraSettings image) :

• Resolution : 1920 * 1080
  • Encoding (Camera) : H.264H
  • 10 fps (Constant Bit Rate (CBR))
  • BitRate : 1024 Kbps (Hardware setting)
  • 1 Text Overlay
  • Direct-to-Disc recording
  • Recording on Trigger

BI3 automatically jumps CPU usage to 100% even before the "Recording" starts (Delayed Traffic signal to not go to green for about 2 mins).

I have recently started getting an "Out of Memory " error from BI3 as of yesterday after I changed all cameras to Direct-to-Disc recording. There is ample Disk Storage and RAM on this new PC.

I am just frustrated at this point....Hope I can get direct instructions on how to set up BI, while maintaining the 1080p resolution and decent fps (project requirement).

I don't claim to understand the effect of every setting in the BI interface so I would appreciate any suggestions on the settings I need to be able to accommodate 55 cameras on my current NVR PC...

Please see image attachments ...

BI3_Cameras.jpgCameraSettings.JPGMotion.jpgRecord.jpgTaskMgr.jpgVideo.JPGVideoFormat.JPG

Thanks

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With the frame rate set to 10 in the camera and in BI, you theoretically should not need to have the "Adjust automatically" checkbox checked on the Video tab. I haven't experimented with it myself, but I have seen others claim that enabling this feature can have an impact on performance. You've certainly got enough cameras that you ought to be able to tell if unchecking it makes much of a difference :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but that is simply not going to happen. You have way too many total megapixels for that system. BI is very cpu intensive because it does the motion detection itself and not in the camera. You might want to look at using dahuas PSS (although Ive never tried it, @vector18 can give you more info) or milestone , which allow you to use camera itself to process the motion detection.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First, the i7-4470 is way underpowered to even decode 55 HD streams, regardless if BI or not, even if you start them all with the browser interface. Have you considered a 4 socket server with the 8 or 10 core Xeon? Then there's BI, it's a 32 bit app so if you are getting OOM conditions, not much you can since you are maxed out at 3.2GB of RAM regardless of your 12GB of physical RAM.

Then there's the other problem of disk bandwidth. You didn't say how many disk controllers, drives you are using. I would not put more than say 8-10 cameras per drive, even that is pushing it. So you should have a half dozen drives (not including the OS drive) to support that many cameras. You say 2TB, but I assume that's a joke right, 55 cameras, 2TB, does that even give you a few hours of recording.

On that PC, you can run Milestone XProtect Pro but just as a server. Then you can use another i7 PC to run Milestone SmartClient to display using the sub-stream and get all or most of the cameras on one screen. The problem with BI is they can't decouple the server from the client, you don't have the concept of layouts, so not much you can do with that number of cameras. You can do this and record at 30fps, no problem.

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
WOW....and I thought I was going to impress someone with my screen shot.... anyway, I think networkcameracritic hit the nail on the head..

I've been tweaking a lot lately..with the addition of my latest HIK 3mp, I spiked CPU to 100% and it held there until I cut the frame rate down, and bit rate down...then adjusted the rest of the cams a bit and have a comfortable cpu load again... still spikes a bit under motion/record, but it's manageable... only a few more cameras to add and this system will be done..

tweakingBI.jpg

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
With the frame rate set to 10 in the camera and in BI, you theoretically should not need to have the "Adjust automatically" checkbox checked on the Video tab. I haven't experimented with it myself, but I have seen others claim that enabling this feature can have an impact on performance. You've certainly got enough cameras that you ought to be able to tell if unchecking it makes much of a difference :)
Turning off adjust automagically dropped my average cpu usage down about 6ish%, thanks brah, I am sure that would be a bigger difference if I had more cameras. :D

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry, but that is simply not going to happen. You have way too many total megapixels for that system. BI is very cpu intensive because it does the motion detection itself and not in the camera. You might want to look at using dahuas PSS (although Ive never tried it, @vector18 can give you more info) or milestone , which allow you to use camera itself to process the motion detection.
I was thinking about this last night, I wonder why BI doesn't have the option to offload motion detection to the camera? Admittedly I wouldn't do it with the crappy hikvision motion detection but it'd be a nice option.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking about this last night, I wonder why BI doesn't have the option to offload motion detection to the camera? Admittedly I wouldn't do it with the crappy hikvision motion detection but it'd be a nice option.
That's easy to answer, it's cost. It's easy to take streams from cameras in a generic way, then process the motion detection in software in a generic way and all the lower cost NVR software does this. So adding a new camera, new brand is easy. For the commercial software companies, Exacq, Avigilon, Milestone, they have to get into the camera API to get the camera and software talking to each other to allow for camera side motion detection (which includes PIR motion detection & Alarm input from the camera). Imagine a camera that works today with say Avigilon, doesn't work with tomorrow's firmware, so someone has to get that work at the API level. Think of BlueIris as one guy (developer, sales, support), think of the others are teams of people with separate roles allowing for this level of detail. I doubt one guy can maintain support for 1,000 cameras using camera-side motion detection, at least not until ONVIF gets the point where one driver solves world hunger.

BTW, Milestone can do server side motion detection way more efficiently than BI to the point where you may not even notice the difference in CPU between in-camera and in-server. For example, adding in my Dahua cameras which have generic ONVIF support and uses Milestone server side motion detection doesn't take up much more CPU than Hikvision that have native support and uses camera-side motion detection.

Not saying BlueIris is bad, I've used it for probably longer than most here, since 2009, still use it, but not for recording.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
That's easy to answer, it's cost. It's easy to take streams from cameras in a generic way, then process the motion detection in software in a generic way and all the lower cost NVR software does this. So adding a new camera, new brand is easy. For the commercial software companies, Exacq, Avigilon, Milestone, they have to get into the camera API to get the camera and software talking to each other to allow for camera side motion detection (which includes PIR motion detection & Alarm input from the camera). Imagine a camera that works today with say Avigilon, doesn't work with tomorrow's firmware, so someone has to get that work at the API level. Think of BlueIris as one guy (developer, sales, support), think of the others are teams of people with separate roles allowing for this level of detail. I doubt one guy can maintain support for 1,000 cameras using camera-side motion detection, at least not until ONVIF gets the point where one driver solves world hunger.

BTW, Milestone can do server side motion detection way more efficiently than BI to the point where you may not even notice the difference in CPU between in-camera and in-server. For example, adding in my Dahua cameras which have generic ONVIF support and uses Milestone server side motion detection doesn't take up much more CPU than Hikvision that have native support and uses camera-side motion detection.

Not saying BlueIris is bad, I've used it for probably longer than most here, since 2009, still use it, but not for recording.
I had just noticed the setting in BI "trigger using camera's digital input or motion detection", not the same thing?

nyte_ryder

n3wb
Reaction score
I actually only doing motion-triggered recording (for about 15 secs) and not continuous recording so the disk space has been OK so far and I am only retaining 7 days...

nyte_ryder

n3wb
Reaction score
First, the i7-4470 is way underpowered to even decode 55 HD streams, regardless if BI or not, even if you start them all with the browser interface. Have you considered a 4 socket server with the 8 or 10 core Xeon? Then there's BI, it's a 32 bit app so if you are getting OOM conditions, not much you can since you are maxed out at 3.2GB of RAM regardless of your 12GB of physical RAM.

Then there's the other problem of disk bandwidth. You didn't say how many disk controllers, drives you are using. I would not put more than say 8-10 cameras per drive, even that is pushing it. So you should have a half dozen drives (not including the OS drive) to support that many cameras. You say 2TB, but I assume that's a joke right, 55 cameras, 2TB, does that even give you a few hours of recording.

On that PC, you can run Milestone XProtect Pro but just as a server. Then you can use another i7 PC to run Milestone SmartClient to display using the sub-stream and get all or most of the cameras on one screen. The problem with BI is they can't decouple the server from the client, you don't have the concept of layouts, so not much you can do with that number of cameras. You can do this and record at 30fps, no problem.
I actually only doing motion-triggered recording (for about 15 secs) and not continuous recording so the disk space has been OK so far and I am only retaining 7 days...

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
under Video - Configure, on the same tab that you select the camera model and put in the IP address of the camera... bottom right, above the "ok" button