Help: Camera suddenly stopped recording. Tried everything I can think of.

anima9

n3wb
Reaction score
Model DS-2CD2020F-IW

Problem: Camera suddenly stopped recording after 4+ years.

What I tried to do:
1. Formatted old microsd card (64gb), didn't work. In fact, I think it's dead since my PC won't even detect it.
2. Bought a new microsd card (san disk Ultra) 128 gb, formatted both PC and client, and all I get is "Status Exception" in IVMS 4200 Lite and "Status: Error" using the camera's own HIKVISION program (ip address). (edit: added "micro")

I also checked that it's set to overwrite. Restored everything to default and rebooted multiple times.

According to the client: Capacity is 125 gb, free space is 0. Storage mode: Quota

I'm literally at a loss here and thinking my camera is just dead. It's been exposed to harsh sunlight and rain for over a year now and maybe stuff just got fried.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Although I understand it's a new SD card, have you tried another one?
Which format did the old card use (FAT32 or exFAT) and is that the same as used on the new card?
And the card's "write protect" is off......
And of course, when the new card is plugged into a PC's SD slot you can read/write to it like any drive with no problem?

Last edited:

anima9

n3wb
Reaction score
1. I tried a Samsung EVO that's 32 gb and it also doesn't work. Newly opened, too, as it was a freebie from a Samsung phone I bought over a year ago.
2. This one I'm not sure because I can't open it anymore; my computer starts to "hang"
3. I forgot to be more specific, my bad. It's a micro sd, so there's no physical write protection. I checked properties and it wasn't there, too.
4. I copied documents with no issue.