HELP! Can't access Dahua IP camera from outside my network

KevinM

n3wb
Reaction score
So I am struggling to access my IP camera remotely. I have a Dahua SD49212T-HN IP camera connected to an Apple Airport Extreme router. I have no troubles accessing my camera locally on my network with IP address 10.0.1.5, port 37777. I plan on using no-ip.org to manage my external IP address. I have opened port 37777 in the Airport Utility as follows.

Under the edit setting on my Airport Extreme:

Network Tab

Port Settings +

Added public and private TCP Ports 37777 with Private IP address 10.0.1.50

Saved and updated. Unplugged and plugged the camera back in.

I did a port scan on the apple network utility and it does show that port 37777 is open under 10.0.1.5.

When I remotely enter my external IP address in Internet exploder as follows (note the IP address I am showing is not real)

182.12.64.140:37777

I get a server not responding error. Anyone know what I am doing wrong or not doing? If all was correct, I would expect it to prompt me with the user name and password for the camera to gain access. I have also tried using the dahua iDMSS app to access the camera. Again, it works within my local network, but when I try to access it from outside my network, I get an error. Any help would be much appreciated!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you would need to open port 80 as well......

But you really dont want to port forward from a security standpoint. Best to use a VPN
See this thread:
VPN Primer for Noobs

KevinM

n3wb
Reaction score
I have tried opening 80 as well with no luck. I understand the security concerns, but for now I am just rrying to get this to work, baby steps..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried opening 80 as well with no luck. I understand the security concerns, but for now I am just rrying to get this to work, baby steps..
its actually easier to setup vpn if your router supports it...also I dont think you understand the security concerns, otherwise you would not be attempting port forwarding..

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This actually is not a "baby step" or any other step as to learning, other than a wrong step.

I have seen this implied a couple of times here recently as if port forwarding was a way to learn vpn. Bull Shit.

If you are too lazy or cheap to do it correctly, just cop to it. And stop asking us to help you compromise your network security.

BTW, did I mention it is a really bad idea to port forward.

KevinM

n3wb
Reaction score
Arnt we friendly...anyone else have any advice on my problem?