HELP: Connecting an NVR to a wireless hotspot

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been research for weeks and am struggling to find a solution. Note, I am somewhat IT "challenged" and have little to no experience with routers, bridges, etc.

I am provided, by my employer, an unlimited data Sprint hot spot. This is the only internet option for my rural house. I am in the process of hooking up a Dahua NVR/Camera system to my house, and wish to remotely access my NVR.

First and foremost, I need to establish an ethernet connection to my NVR. It seems I can purchase a simple/cheap WiFi bridge(access point?) that will take my Wif signal and convert it to ethernet. However, I won't have VPN capabilities with that. Should I connect a wireless bridge/AP to my hotspot, then connect that to a VPN capable router? It seems this would work but, after some reading, it seems these systems are "half duplex" which means I would effectively loose half of my speeds (is this correct?) This is problematic, as I can only achieve about 6 mbps up/down. Honestly, these speeds are good enough for what I need, but cutting in them half would no longer make this setup usable.

First and foremost, is this the solution (hotspot - bridge/ap - router w/vpn) the best way to go? If so, any hardware recommendations? Second, will my up/down speeds really be cut in half?

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Below is an excerpt from Sprint's Terms & Conditions, last paragraph, found ==>> here <<==.

".....Sprint services may not be used for any other purposes, including, but not limited to: monitoring services, ........or other connections that do not consist of uninterrupted live dialogue between individuals".

I've read over the last few years numerous issues on various forums where users & subscribers of ALL major cellular providers have had zero luck monitoring cams remotely due to having various ports blocked. I'm not saying it cannot be done, I'm just saying my observations of online discussions of this topic has left me with the impression that it will be an uphill climb for you.

I wish you the best of luck!

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Satelite internet is available, however, its expensive. I usually run through nearly 1tb a month and a 50gig plan is $100+ a month for satelite.

A neighbor has Wi Power (i think its a wisp?) but it required him to install a 30 foot freestanding tower and some antennas. Perhaps later this is a viable optuon, but the up front costs i believe arr to high right now.

The alternative is to find a way to utilize a free unlimited hot spot

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I hated the satellite service that I had. The whole deal is kinda kludgy. Even DirectTV used alternative ways to provide the Internet side of their service where they can. Mine wasn't as expensive as what you're quoting but still the worst performance/reliability for the money that I've had over the years. I'd avoid that unless you just have no other alternative.