Help for a newbee with SD1A404XB-GNR and Smart Motion Detection

Neuer_User

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello

I'm a new user and got my SD1A404XB-GNR from @EMPIRETECANDY (thanks for the fast delivery!). So far I like the cam regarding the image quality, power consumption, physical appearance, but, honestly, I find the documentation very much lacking. I cannot get many features to work as expected.

My use case is to have the cam monitor a certain area for human motion and send alarms, when human motion is detected. As the cam is placed outside, there are trees and other stuff that is moving (especially now, as it is currently very windy).

1612346442488.png
So I enabled Motion Detection under Events and configured upload to a NAS (snapshots and video). This works fine. But, of course, I get lots of events with every single motion of some trees etc.
1612346476362.png

Therefore I enabled "Smart Motion Detection", effective object "Human", sensitivity "LOW" (I also tried "HIGH"). This, however, did not change anything to the detected events. I still get every movement of trees etc trigger an event (stored snapshots and videos). What am I doing wrong?

Code:
Device Type SD1A404XB-GNR
System Version V2.810.0000001.3.R.P9.4a8, Build Date: 2020-06-08
WEB Version V3.2.1.905073
ONVIF Version 19.06(V2.6.1.845389)

BTW, I am also fighting with other issues:
a.) I do not see any Events logged in the log of the cam, although events are triggered, because I do see the snapshots stored on the NAS,
2.) send email is not working, whatever I try (I use a dedicated SMTP server and do not even see any connections via wireshark),
3.) What does "Enable manual control trigger" mean in the Motion Detection section?
4.) the "Live AI" screen does not show anything, just black with some menus. Is that the correct behaviour?

1612346394927.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe you need an SD card in the camera to get those logs. When I format the SD Card (some Dahua cams get buggy once they are full), then I lose the event logs.

Try not using motion detection and use Smart Plan and IVS instead. You will probably have better success with motion.

Regarding documentation, you will find that since Dahua doesn't cater to the "consumer" market, their target audience is professional installers, so we are considered "prosumer" and we are fortunate to have Andy that sells this stuff to us.

Neuer_User

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe you need an SD card in the camera to get those logs. When I format the SD Card (some Dahua cams get buggy once they are full), then I lose the event logs.
OK, I will test it with an SD card inserted. Strange thing, though, as some logs are clearly there, such as "login / logout", "Configuration change", "reboot" etc. Just nothing in "Events" and "Records", although it is clearly recording to the NAS.

Try not using motion detection and use Smart Plan and IVS instead. You will probably have better success with motion.
OK, I will turn of motion detection and try out IVS. Haven't tried that yet. I could probably also combine it with Face detection, I guess. Let me see, how it works out. :thumb:
Regarding documentation, you will find that since Dahua doesn't cater to the "consumer" market, their target audience is professional installers, so we are considered "prosumer" and we are fortunate to have Andy that sells this stuff to us.
I understand. Pity, though. And the professional installers don't get any documentation? All done by trainings, then? Or are docs just not accessible for us "prosumers"?

Neuer_User

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh, I found a kind of user manual. While it is not easy to read, it does state something interesting about "Motion Detection" and "Smart Motion Detection":
If you enable motion detection and smart motion detection simultaneously, and configure
the linked activities, the linked activities take effect as following:
- When Motion Detection is triggered, the camera will record and take snapshots, but
other configured linkages such as sending emails, PTZ operation will not take effect.
- When Smart Motion Detection is triggered, all the configured linkages take effect.
That actually would explain my initial finding (still getting snapshots and records recorded, even if SMD was on and no human there). Not sure, why they implemented it this way, though...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, you can find the manual, but many of us here have found that what they say means something else LOL, so we use this forum to share what things mean (does HIGH mean more sensitive or less sensitive for example) I forgot now which item, but at least one is opposite of what we would think.