Help for a newbie

troedel

n3wb
Reaction score
So i am very new to this world so please bear with a newbie. I have done as much of my own research as possible but am still struggling. I want a relatively simple setup for my home, just enough to be able to see around the house and identify faces from 10-15 feet away.

I installed a Lorex analog system which I still have setup now. I am fairly happy with it with the major exception that faces from 10 feet away are very blurry. After doing more research i seemed to realize that IP cameras were the way to go.

So after a lot of research and debate I figured I would try a hikvision. I ordered a hikvision turret camera, 4MP, model # DS-2CD2342WD-I. I have it connected to a hikvision nvr DS-7608NI-E2/8P 8CH PoE. Both places I ordered from amazon assured it was a proper english version. Anyway, so I setup it up and have to say i was expecting much more for the resolution. The image at times is pixelated during movement, which I could live with. But faces from 10 ft away when zoomed in are fairly blurry. I was expecting a crystal clear image. Were my expectations too high? or is perhaps somethign wrong with my setup/hardware? My camera settings are below:

resolution: 2688x1520
bitrate type : constant
frame rate: 20
max bitrate: 16384
H.264+: Off

I would love to attach an image for you guys to check out, but I dont know how to "capture" it from the NVR and send it to myself. I can do an image capture on the hikvision internet explorer admin tool, but I am not sure if its capturing the full resolution or simply whats displayed on my laptop (the image that does get captured is quite poor)

Sorry for the rambeling, but after my 3rd try at a system I am starting to lose hope, hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 6mm from about 12ft from my door and even that's too wide. I'd need a 12mm in there.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a 6mm from about 12ft from my door and even that's too wide. I'd need a 12mm in there.
I wouldn't go that far. 12ft is 4m right? If you only want faces then 12mm but what happens if someone stands a few feet over?

My guess if that your camera is further away than you realise.

10ft 2.8mm should be just about ok, not great but ok. So maybe you have a lens issue. Hard to tell without a screenshot. 4mm would be much better there.

troedel

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your reply, I naively didn't realize there would be a connection with lens size and resolution. So in your guys opinion, is there anyway to get a camera that has between 90 and 100 degree field of view and can clearly show faces at 15 ft? Without getting super expensive? Looking to keep cost of each camera to $200 or less

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far. 12ft is 4m right? If you only want faces then 12mm but what happens if someone stands a few feet over?

My guess if that your camera is further away than you realise.

10ft 2.8mm should be just about ok, not great but ok. So maybe you have a lens issue. Hard to tell without a screenshot. 4mm would be much better there.
Here you go, just had a measure and it is slightly further. This is what I'm getting from a 6mm 2CD2335-I @ 14.5ft from the camera to the center of the door (between the nearest plant and the wall).

CCTV_Door.png

Maybe I do have an issue with the camera and have created a thread about it
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/13400-Strange-2CD2335-I-Lens-Issue-Maybe

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, should be the main stream. Just took a snapshot from that recording

CCTV_Snapshot.jpg

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, should be the main stream. Just took a snapshot from that recording

View attachment 12865
My bad, didn't click on it properly. You can make it a bit sharper by tweaking the settings a bit but unless you want even less viewing angle then 6mm is the right lens for here. If you are having issues then you need another camera nearer where he is about 4ft high pointing outwards. You will get great camera shots from this. This is what I have with my 4mm as an overview.

2.8mm DS-2CD2542FWD-I is perfect for that.