Help! -Hikvision 3mp ip Dome Cam- IR question?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your NVR has PoE built-in, then it's likely that your cameras are on a separate subnet. You can try temporarily plugging your computer into the NVR. It should be assigned an IP address that is on the same subnet as your cameras and then you should be able to access them directly. I don't know the steps on a Hikvision NVR, but there should be a screen that shows you the IP address of each camera.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, can you please post a picture of your side yard from the late afternoon, after the direct sun has moved to the other side of the house and it's in the shade?

Last edited:

ipcamderek

n3wb
Reaction score
The nvr does have built in poe so I literary just plugged them in and ran with it. My nvr ip address is 192.168.0.xx (which I can login to through the web browser), but my cameras are all 192.168.254.2 (the last digit goes up to 3,4,5 and so on through my cameras...) and all of the camera ip addresses do not take me to the login when I type it into the browser and I don't know why?

I have attached a picture from 7:18pm yesterday.

IMG_0521.JPG

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The nvr does have built in poe so I literary just plugged them in and ran with it. My nvr ip address is 192.168.0.11 (which I can login to through the web browser), but my cameras are all 192.168.254.2 (the last digit goes up to 3,4,5 and so on through my cameras...) and all of the camera ip addresses do not take me to the login when I type it into the browser and I don't know why?
PoE NVRs usually create an separate, isolated sub-network dedicated to the cameras. In your case, it looks like that subnet is 192.168.254.x

It looks like the regular subnet in your house is 192.168.0.x... this is the one your NVR, computers, router, and other devices are using. Generally speaking, devices on this subnet aren't going to be able to directly connect to devices on the other (camera) subnet, and vice-versa.

Try plugging your computer's ethernet cable into a port on the NVR. That should give your computer an IP address on the camera subnet (192.168.254.x). Once your computer is on the camera subnet, you should be able to use the web browser to connect to the cameras.

Newer Dahua NVR firmware lets you connect to the NVR using a web-browser, and then it can also jump you over directly to the cameras (to avoid the hassle of having to physically plug your computer into the back of the PoE NVR). I'm not sure if Hikvision NVRs have this feature too... it would make things easier for you if you have do this often.

Last edited:

ipcamderek

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so I shouldn't change the camera ip addresses to 192.168.0.12, 192.168.0.13, 192.168.0.14.... and so on for each camera?

I can access some settings on the cameras by logging into the nvr over the web browser but apparently there are a lot of other settings that I can't access without logging into the camera directly.

ipcamderek

n3wb
Reaction score
That link talks about plugging cameras directly into the router... I don't really want to do that.
@aristobrat are you sure it won't mess anything up if I do what you suggest by plugging an Ethernet plug from my computer one of the poe ports on the NVR? I only really need to get in the Side Yard camera settings, so I would be unplugging it in a matter of minutes. I just don't want to mess anything up.

-Try plugging your computer's ethernet cable into a port on the NVR. That should give your computer an IP address on the camera subnet (192.168.254.x). Once your computer is on the camera subnet, you should be able to use the web browser to connect to the cameras.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The first sentence of the first step shows that this PDF has nothing to do with using cameras with a PoE NVR.

You would follow the steps in this PDF if you were using a traditional PoE switch (or powering via power cables), which isn’t your environment.

In essence, when you plug a camera into the back of your NVR, your NVR does most of these steps automatically for you.

Last edited:

ipcamderek

n3wb
Reaction score
When I plug in the network cable from computer to a poe port on the nvr do I need to disconnect from wifi on the computer before I type in the cameras ip address into the web browser?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m not sure if you have to, but it wouldn’t hurt. Once you’ve got the Ethernet cable plugged in and WiFi temp turned off, check your IP address. There’s a bunch of way to do that, but I’m old and like to open a Command Prompt and then type ipconfig. Hopefully you’ll see an adapter with a 192.168.254.x IP address. I’m assuming the Ethernet port on your computer is set for DHCP, which it normally is by default.

ipcamderek

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried what you suggested but it didn't work as it still said that the site can't be reached. Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address came up as 169.254.16.201.

However, last night I came across the below link that says to enable "Virtual Host" in the Hikvision NVR advanced settings to get the addresses to the cameras. I'm gonna try that later today so hopefully it works... :)

[Tutorial] Using a Hikvision NVR's "Virtual Host" Feature

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cool, that Virtual Host feature you mentioned is just like the one on the new Dahua NVR firmware. Hopefully that works!