Help Locating Piece to Weatherproof Junction Box Gland

alle

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently purchased some Hikvision CB140PT junction boxes, and intend to have my CAT6 line coming out of the side gland. I noticed that even after tightening the gland, it leaves far too much space for one cable. I did look into this thread that had the same issue:

I already purchased some Duct Seal, but was unsure whether to use that alone to seal it, since the cable would be hanging to some extent. I was afraid the wind/weather would eventually compromise the seal. Also didn't want to rely on gravity/drip loop alone, since I hear moisture from change in temperature alone could cause issues. That being said, I did notice the camera's own weather proof connector had a plastic (grommet?) piece that could be slipped onto the cable. I have attached an image as reference (see arrow). The addition of this piece seemed to allow for a good seal on the gland after tightening the nut. Since I will need to use that piece on the connection to the camera, does anyone happen to know where I could purchase a set of these without having to buy an entire set of connectors as well? Backup plan was to follow one of the other suggestions of applying electrical or amalgamating tape to fit, but that seems like it would be a pain if the cable had to be changed/re-terminated down the road.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Use the Duct Seal on the inside to seal the hole for the connector and on the outside to seal the cable at the connector. That should work fine. Using self amalgamating tape is probably the best solution short of getting the right size cable gland. I don't know of any sources for just the rubber bushings.

Last edited:

alle

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I will consider the taping to fit, along with using the Duct Seal on each side. Yes to both clips and grease, just figuring out which clips to buy to go with brick.

In this configuration, would it be ok to have the gland facing to the right, perhaps angled slightly lower for runoff? I do get some snow around me in the winter in case that plays into it. If anything I can mount the gland facing straight down, but will just have to plan to mount the camera a bit higher up.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes to both clips and grease, just figuring out which clips to buy to go with brick.
I suggest:
  • Buy a small kit that includes a 1/4" mortar/concrete bit and the tap-in plastic anchors with screws.
  • Drill a hole in a mortar joint, not the brick.
  • Tap in the plastic anchor flush.
  • Screw in the clip...in some cases you may have to use the screws that came with the kit, so size the kit to fit your clip screws when possible, saves time removing the clip screws in order to use the anchor screws.