Waterproof cat5 entry into junction box

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought a few hikvision CB140PT junction boxes to install my turrets. The boxes have a nut on the side that seems like it is supposed to be waterproof when tightening down, but the rubber grommet is still too big for the cat5 cable. Is there a better junction box to use in this application?
Thanks, Eric

1649363629219.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a few hikvision CB140PT junction boxes to install my turrets. The boxes have a nut on the side that seems like it is supposed to be waterproof when tightening down, but the rubber grommet is still too big for the cat5 cable. Is there a better junction box to use in this application?
Thanks, Eric

View attachment 124724
There may be but whenever I've encountered a gland bigger than the cable I just loosen the gland, back out the cable and put a few turns of self-curing rubber tape or even 3M's 33+ vinyl electrical tape around the cable until the gland seals well against the cable. Bigger gaps can be plugged after the gland is tightened with G-B Duct Seal.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends on what that cable gland is intending to seal. If it’s for liquid tight conduit for example it would be too big for network cable. You need cat5/6 glands to seal that cable size. You can bup them in any home improvement store.

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A smaller cable gland size will fit into the opening with the nut on the inside and be reasonably water-resistant, it just won't thread into the box itself.

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Will look for cat5 glands in box store tomorrow, but alternatively I found that a short piece of 3/8 fuel line hose, slit lengthwise and slipped over the cat5e, fills the gap perfectly. It may not hold water if submerged, but it should be fine pointing down in the relatively well sheltered spots I am mounting.
Eric

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.